Question about Soldering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmunos

Reaction score
So I made a dip tube out of copper today but I had a few questions. Is it ok to use faux and silver to make the diptube? I assumed it was because thats what plumbers use (and the guy at lows said so) but i wanted to make sure. Came out pretty well and the best part is it works! Also I dont want to keep screwing and unscrewing the diptube out of the kettle so is it ok to just suck some hot water/pbw through it at the end of the brew day and just let it be?

So I made a dip tube out of copper today but I had a few questions. Is it ok to use faux and silver to make the diptube? I assumed it was because thats what plumbers use (and the guy at lows said so) but i wanted to make sure. Came out pretty well and the best part is it works! Also I dont want to keep screwing and unscrewing the diptube out of the kettle so is it ok to just suck some hot water/pbw through it at the end of the brew day and just let it be?

Not sure what "faux and silver" means. Are you talking about flux and silver solder? If it's approved for pottable piping you should be fine.

Yeah the silver is all u ever use on anything that touches food. I may be wrong but I don't remove mine I just clean it with the dip tube installed

standard plumbing solder is all you need for copper and Just for Copper adhesive is lighting fast and really easy to use

Ok that makes me feel better. Also I have seen some people Soldering ball valves on their keggles? Is that strong enough? What kind of metal are they using?

Back