Question about sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewsBrew

Reaction score
I'm new to using carboys for my primary. Its really cool to be able to see all of the action taking place. I did a 3 gallon boil for an ESB I brewed yesterday. I added it to about 2 gallons of water, pitched the yeast, and capped. What surprised me was the 2 inch thick bed of sediment that dropped out of suspension within the first hour afterwards. Not having witnessed this before, I don't know what to make of it. Is this normal?

Oh, yes, especially if you didn't strain the wort when you put it into the fermenter. You can have hot break, cold break, hops sludge, etc, and it will all drop to the bottom. I think David_42 had a picture in his gallery with about 6 inches or more of trub in his fermenter. Then the yeast flocculates out, that will be down there too.

That trub will compact after a week or two, so you can rack right off of it, and it won't seem as deep.

you can also spread that stuff on toast and start your day the disgusting way!

:fro:

I don't know which, Yooper, but either you've been fishing too much or someone has been lying to you for years.

img_1432.jpg

It compacted to about 1/4 as much after 3 weeks.

I just racked yesterday to secondary and did not remember to filter out the break before fermentation. You can see here just how much trub is in the 6.5 carboy.

beer2.jpg

beer8.jpg

beerlast.jpg

I'll be doing the whirlpool method next time and siphoning into the primary to avoid most of this break material. :)

HTH

Back