Question about secondary fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popscube

Reaction score
I read the list on when to go to the secondary fermenter and it doesn't sound like I need to do it, but I want to make sure. I am making an ESB and I've had it in the primary(plastic) for a week and the recipe calls for me to put it into the secondary and dry hop with Fuggles. The problem though is that the fuggles was improperly sealed and I can't use it. I don't feel like driving for 2 hours for an ounce of hops. So, should I go ahead and put it in the secondary anyway or just leave it until the hydrometer says its ready? Is sitting in the plastic bucket for another 7 days going to be a problem? Does clarity affect taste? Without dry hopping will I still have a true ESB?

I'm so lost. :confused:

Either way it should stay in the primary until it is ready (FG has been reached), then you would secondary to dry hop. I usually do this after 10 days if it's done fermenting out. A week may be a little too soon IMO.

If you want to dry hop, a secondary is a good idea. Even if the hops bag was not factory sealed, they still should be okay to dry hop with, unless they were left out for a long time unrefrigerated or something. Hops are naturally antibacterial.

The hop bag wasn't sealed right and the smell was bad. It smelled like perfumed feet than the usual "flowerly" smell. I didn't want to take the chance of ruining anything.

did you toss them? i'll bet those perfumed feet hops would make some fantastic beer in the future. probably even for this batch.

you can let it sit in primary for months if you want. rack when you are ready to rack, don't worry about it.

Unfortunately I did toss them. I hated to do it. Wish the homebrew store was closer and had them smell it.

So it sounds like just leave it where it is and don't bother with the secondary then.

Back