Question about Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catch20two

Reaction score
I've done brewing with just a primary, and I want to add the secondary step mainly to get more flexibility on when I bottle. I already have another fermenter.

My question is, if you're placing it in secondary for say 2-3 weeks, is there a concern that the yeast will settle out? How do you make sure that you have yeast in the beer when you transfer to the bottling bucket, so that it will carbonate?

That's not a problem. It will magically "come back" with the priming sugar.

I have found that the longer (3, 4 weeks in secondary) that the entire bottling process is even easier as the crud settles and forms a thick paste on the bottom...after 2 or more weeks, its unlikely to get disturbed when syphoning...and your beer, in general, would clear faster in the bottle.

I can't speak to longer than 4 weeks in the secondary though....but can't imagine it being a concern unless left for a very, very long time.

It is just about impossible for a homebrewer to remove the yeast completely, you will have yeast. Lagers typically sit for months and they still carbonate without a problem.

Yep, what david said. I secondaried a few beers in my garage last winter for near enough the entire winter at low 40's to low 50's and didn't have any carbonation problems at all. The only beers I repitch are high-abv beers that have sat for a long time. That's not out of concern that they won't carbonate (I imagine they would), but just in an effort to improve carbonation. For most beers it's not necessary at all.

Back