question about secondary and adding fruits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddagger

Reaction score
ok my frist batch has been sitting for about 12 days now.. im going to let it sit for at least 3 weeks(and i will check the gravity to make sure it is done fermenting before i make the switch) to give the yeast a good amount of time to finsh fermenting cause the og was 1.070 ..im making a raspberry wheat beer with some citrus added to give it a nice sweet tast from the citrus but a nice kick of tart from the raspberry...

now i when i boiled up everything i used

6lbs of wheat dry malt extract

pitched .75lbs of flacked oat
.5lbs pal malt(2-row)

1.25oz hallertau @60min before finshing boil
.75 hallertau @ 20min before finshing boil
.5oz orange bitter peel @ 20min before finshing boil
.25 oz corriander seed @7mins before finsh of boil
1.5lbs of raspberry puree into primary

now after i finsh the fermenting i want to add the rest of the 1.5 pounds of the raspberry puree that i froze up, or maybe just some frozen raspberrys

and was thinking about adding some fresh orange zest only after i tast i brew and think it needs more of the sweetness if the peels added to much tart.

now what is the best way to add thoes two to the secondary? what woudl be the best way to steralize them to make sure i dont add anything that can cause a infection?

I did this recently with blueberries in a wheat recipe. I pre boiled a pot of water, just enough to cover the fruit, then held it at 170F for ~10minutes, then just dumped the whole mixture into my secondary and racked on top.

I did this recently with blueberries in a wheat recipe. I pre boiled a pot of water, just enough to cover the fruit, then held it at 170F for ~10minutes, then just dumped the whole mixture into my secondary and racked on top.

did u throw the water in too?

Back