Question about secodary temps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaFours

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just brewed a red ale on sunday and will be transferring it to secodary this weekend. This is the first time I've done secondary and I had a question.

I have two options to store my secondary. I could either store it in a closet where the temp will be a constant 69-70 degrees, or store it in the garage where the temp may vary from 54-62 degrees throughout the day. I thought I read somewhere that the brew doesn't like to have the temps change too dramatically. Although, it's 5 gallons of liquid so I can't see the outside temp affecting it too much.

What would you guys suggest.

You're right about the thermal mass of the liquid helping to hold it at a more steady temperature. So, either would work. But the closet is your better bet.

Always wanted to start a HB club with some serious HBer's. Clarion Area wort Worshippers or CAWW....Ye who brews behind the crow!!

Back