Question about Sam Adam's "2 Row Blend"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msh227

Reaction score
Since fall is coming I have been searching for some recipe ideas and was just on Sam Adam's website. They use a 2 row blend, from what I read on their website I made the assumption it is a blend of 3 different 2 row malts.

I guess my big question is how much difference in flavor is there from one type of 2 row malt to another? Isn't 2 row essentially the same just produced by different manufacturers?

Since fall is coming I have been searching for some recipe ideas and was just on Sam Adam's website. They use a 2 row blend, from what I read on their website I made the assumption it is a blend of 3 different 2 row malts.

I guess my big question is how much difference in flavor is there from one type of 2 row malt to another? Isn't 2 row essentially the same just produced by different manufacturers?

2 row blend really isn't saying much.

As for the differences, Pilsner is a 2 row malt. Munich is too.

Along the same lines, what is the difference between Canadian 2 row and American 2 row? I can buy Canadian 2 row in bulk as well as MO, but not so much American (locally). msh227 didn't mean to ride off your post, but since they were related, I thought I'd ask.

Its an agricultural product. There are no doubt differences between 2-row barley grown in one location relative to another. There are probably field-to-field differences between 2-row, on the same farm and under the same management practices.

SA's blend could be different lots, different suppliers, or different source locations (within US vs. abroad), or different processing methods.

Whattawort not a problem...

I guess I need to better understand what 2 Row malt really is. I wonder if the Wiki explains it and/or has a list of all the malts that are considered 2 Row.

Regional differences (soils, elevation, general climate) can make an impact, albeit subtle compared to teh malting and kilning processes.

This is the difference between American and Canadian, etc...

So what is a 2 Row Base? For example I use the Brew Pal app for the iphone and it has an option for 2 Row Base and 6 Row Base. Are these essentially pale malts?

So what is a 2 Row Base? For example I use the Brew Pal app for the iphone and it has an option for 2 Row Base and 6 Row Base. Are these essentially pale malts?

Base = Base malt. Or, a diastatic malt. A malt able to convert, at least, it's own starches and some varied percentage of adjuncts.

2 row/6 row describes the barley stalks seedhead.

As for the Brew Pal options, they are doing this to stand as a generic solution to an otherwise unknown malt.

Got ya well that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up.

I guess for my recipes I'll just have to pick a few malts that are 2 row and just do a little trial and error.

Is a protein rest usually needed for Canadian? I know it's suggested for a lot of base malts, but American 2 row in modified enough that a protein rest is only really needed to improve clarity. No fly sparging here.

Blend of 2 Row Malts would be just like one else mentioned - you can get 2 Row Brewers Malt, 2 Row Pale Ale Malt (usually more complex, fuller body and slightly darker), 2 Row Munich.

There would be a slight difference between Brewers and Pale Ale even if they come from the same region/climate/company. It's how they are kilned..etc. But you get the largest differences via climates like others have said. You can't compare a basic 2 Row Pale in the UK vs 2 Row Pale in Canada...or a Munich malt from Weyermann in Germany vs a Munich malt from the US or Canada.

As to the drying process, there might be some slight variations between manufactures as well. Keep in mind all of these differences are small and I doubt anyone would be able to say - you used bad malts...etc. Color might be the biggest difference between the malts and maybe some complexity if using pale malts vs brewers...etc.

Is a protein rest usually needed for Canadian? I know it's suggested for a lot of base malts, but American 2 row in modified enough that a protein rest is only really needed to improve clarity. No fly sparging here.

Impossible to say without a proper analysis but, typically, 2-row does not require a protein rest. 6 row does.

Impossible to say without a proper analysis but, typically, 2-row does not require a protein rest. 6 row does.

Thank you much. Knowing that, I'll go pick up my 50lbs of Canadian 2 row ($47) this afternoon. Might do 25lb if MO and 25lb of 2 row instead. There's something about MO that I just dig.

Back