Question about priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkTrucker

Reaction score
I primed my keg of Edworts haus pale ale about a week and a half ago. Not thinking i added 2/3 cup of priming sugar instead of 1/3. Is that gonna effect the beer by alot? And if it does what can I do to fix it? Im going to put it on co2 this weekend. Im still kinda new to kegging. Plus I was pretty buzzed when I did it.:D

I'm used to oz not cups...but if 2/3cup is about 4 oz, then you've simply carbed the beer completely with priming sugar, so your CO2 tank is just gonna be used to dispense it.

honestly I wouldn't bother priming any kegs, ever. just force carb. then your first couple of pints won't be full of sediment and thus wasted.

Sing with me, "Every pint is sacred, every pint is great. When a pint gets wasted, Bacchus gets irate"

Im still working on my refriderator right now I have only one keg hooked up and its about gone. So I thought that I would prime one while finishing up the other. I didnt know how much that extra priming sugar would effect the beer. I guess Ill find out soon.

well, if its over carbed, you can just vent the keg a couple times over a couple hours to fix it. that's the beauty of kegging :)

No problem. Chill it before hooking up the CO2. And it's a good idea to burp it first as well.

Thanks for the info. Thats what I had thought about doing, but wasnt sure. I think I might forget about the priming sugar and just force carb from now on.

Back