Question about planting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I just moved from Denver to Cincinnati (a week ago) and am now living in a house, with a yard and a 2 car garage. (plans for the new brewing equipment/setup are already underway.) I also plan on building a hop trellis.(4 ropes attached to an O ring on my roof) I understand that late july is WAY past way too late to plant this season, but I found a website that is still selling potted hop plants, and I was wondering if there is any advantage to getting the plant in the ground now. Will it help next years growth/harvest? Any info really helps. Also, while I am at it, how do you get your plant to latch onto the rope, and climb? I understand that they are natural climbers, I just wonder if there is anything to help or start them off.

Thanks.

Someone else with more knowledge will chime in but from what I've read is you might as well plant them to allow the roots to grown then next year they will be better off for it. As for "training" them to grow up the rope, it's about as simple as can be. They just tend to grow up it and every now and then you can wrap it around the rope in a clockwise fashion.

Welcome to Cincy!

If they are in pots with substantial root systems go ahead and plant them, fluffing out the root ball as best you can without injuring them. Let the leaves die on the vine as they are providing nourishment for the roots to overwinter. Cut back the dead bines and mulch them thoroughly in the fall to keep the root balls from freezing.

I know someone who is planting rhizomes still this year (not sure if that is really the best idea) but with how much growing season is still left I would say you should get the potted bines and give it a try. We have some potted bines that we started earlier this year and were going to sell them next year as second year plants. Check into how long the bines you are buying have been growing in the pots.

If you're planting now, Blast with nitrogen. We planted to the ground in march, from pots, and are just now building the trellis, and just now starting to train some on the strings. Some that were less than a meter long, are already doubled the size in one week, but we're having crazy weather. Hardly any rain during winter, and a very hot spring and summer, with no end in sight. What's your climate like?

I wouldn't apply too much nitrogen, you will risk killing the plant. Use a recommend dosage of miracle grow and make sure to keep the soil damp but not wet.

Odin - That is strange that you are only getting growth now, must have been the crazy whether you said you were having. We planted rhizomes that looked like little minature golf pencils in April and have some bines over 14' tall now.

So I just moved from Denver to Cincinnati (a week ago) and am now living in a house, with a yard and a 2 car garage. (plans for the new brewing equipment/setup are already underway.) I also plan on building a hop trellis.(4 ropes attached to an O ring on my roof) I understand that late july is WAY past way too late to plant this season, but I found a website that is still selling potted hop plants, and I was wondering if there is any advantage to getting the plant in the ground now. Will it help next years growth/harvest? Any info really helps. Also, while I am at it, how do you get your plant to latch onto the rope, and climb? I understand that they are natural climbers, I just wonder if there is anything to help or start them off.

Thanks.

we had the same problem when we moved into our house (we are in Cheviot) - but we went ahead and planted them in August and they came back this year. I imagine it gave the plant time to prepare for winter - although with the mild winter we just had I'm not sure it needed that much preparation! It doesnt frost here till late october usually (at the earliest), so might as well plant away! :mug:

I just planted 8 rhizomes in middle/late June. As of today 5 of the 8 rhizomes have bines breaking ground. I expect the other 3 probably will within the next week or two.

I do not really expect to get any flowers this year, and I'm still deciding whether to cut any of the bines back or just let them all grow til the end of the season.

Why would you cut them back?

I was thinking the same thing. You want to promote as much root growth as possible and the best way to do that is to have as much foliage as the plant will give you, as well as water and maintain the proper amounts of NPK and soil acidity.

Oh, I am not JUST NOW getting growth, I am just now building the trellis, some bines are over three meters on the ground. But some of the small ones, once they had something to climb on, they took off.

Why would you cut them back?

I've read on here quite a bit that people tend to cut the first 8-10 bines that pop up, then let them grow after that. Something to do with producing stronger bines for climbing.

I don't know, this is my first year planting hops. I will probably just let them grow, since its already mid July and I don't really expect any flowers anyways.

oh - and welcome to the 'Nati! :)

Thank you for the welcome tiffany. I am in westwood, near the cheviot boarder. I grew up in westwood, but left when I was just out of HS. I forgot that it doesn't freeze here as early. That may help the growth for next year. ( I have been in cleveland and denver for a handful of years and would bet the winters are a bit harsher there.) I would also love it if you could clue me into where the good beer is in town.

Thanks to all for the posts and info. I currently have 4 plant on the way: 2 columbus and 2 nugget.

I've read on here quite a bit that people tend to cut the first 8-10 bines that pop up, then let them grow after that. Something to do with producing stronger bines for climbing.

I don't know, this is my first year planting hops. I will probably just let them grow, since its already mid July and I don't really expect any flowers anyways.

Once the plants are established they produce many more shoots than are needed so you have to figure out how many and which ones you're gonna let climb and which ones get yanked. That's once they're established.

When you're just getting started you want to leave as much topgrowth as possible. The little shoots that come up are living off of the stored energy in the rhizome. Once those shoots start producing leaves (think: VERY efficient solar panels), the plant can produce more than enough energy to sustain it's top growth and ends up sending any excess back down to the crown to help grow more roots or to be stored for use next year. You're getting a late start so you need as much help as possible to get the plants established. I think you'll be fine and just leave everything grow away!

Back