question about OG/no activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oligarchy

Reaction score
on my 2nd batch yesterday, the og was 1.06 (its an ipa), does this seem high? the recpeie didnt give me an og range, but i think the reading was questionalbe, its been in the fermenter for about 12 hours no activity in the air lock. i used white labs liquid vial, didnt use a starter but aerated the wort itno the primary well and aerated the water as i added into the primary well too. temp dipped to low 70 high 60 during the night.

im not too woried about fermentation atm becuase people have been saying liquid takes longer, but why is it slower than dry yeast? my first batch i used dry and it took off like a rocket.

since my og was questionable i tookthe sample while the wort was still a bit lopsided, denser on the bottom, should i take another reading? im worried that opening up the fermenter again will oxygenate it, or just let it go?

The OG seems about right to me. 12 hours is WAY too soon to know anything. Plus, airlocks are not a good way to tell if things are fermenting (there are many threads about this on here, do a search). Without making a starter, it might take 72 hours before you see anything. The reason it takes longer with liquid yeast is because there are a lot less cells than dry yeast. With less cells, it takes longer for the yeast to multiply to a level that active fermentation can take place. You might see this called the "lag period" around here sometimes. Your temps, actually, might even be a little high. Most around here would say that you should be below, say, 68. Relax, everything will be fine.

thanks for the quick reply. below 68 hmmm. wl vial says 70-75 range, but ill keep that in mind if it comes out a bit fruity. thanks again.

love these forums!

Back