Question about oak chips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonz

Reaction score
I brewed an Arrogant Bastard clone yesterday. When I was done I thought about adding some oak chips to it to try and make the "oaked" version of the Stone brew.

Is it too late to add the chips to my fermenter? If it isn't too late, how do you suggest I prepare the oak chips? How should I sterilize??

Any advice would be appreciated.

I brewed an Arrogant Bastard clone yesterday. When I was done I thought about adding some oak chips to it to try and make the "oaked" version of the Stone brew.

Is it too late to add the chips to my fermenter? If it isn't too late, how do you suggest I prepare the oak chips? How should I sterilize??

Any advice would be appreciated.

soak the chips or cubes in some bourbon for a week or two then dump them (not the bourbon) to a clean and sanitized carboy, rack the beer onto them and let sit for about a month or two before kegging or bottling.

If you plan on a secondary, I would use Oak Cubes and sterilize them by steaming for 15 minutes and then rack on top of the cubes for two to three weeks. In primary, I'd use oak chips and sterilize them the same way.

For your current batch, I'd plan on a secondary with oak cubes. I like the cubes better than chips because I feel the chips give a one dimensional flavor. The cubes have a fuller flavor from the layers of roasting because they are cut from barrel staves. Chips are roasted after they are "chipped" and are uniform on all sides.

I made a oak porter a month ago and just put them into the secondary when I was finished racking. My beer is still sitting but I am just trying to get the most out of the oak.

Since this is my secondary I did not worrie about sterilizing.

I just tried oaking a brown ale this weekend. All the advice I received was to bring the chips to a boil in a cup of water ( I microwaved it) then leave it for a few minutes. I threw the chips and water into a secondary carboy and racked the beer on top. The next step is to start tasting it nex tweekend until the oak flavor is about where I want it then bottle.

Since I haven't tasted this yet would one of the big kids like to confirm the process?

good topic here -- keep the advice and suggestions coming. I've been wondering the same thing about oak chips as I have the Octane IPA extract kit from Midwest supplies and it includes oak chips. They suggest adding the chips to the secondary but don't seem to mention anything about sanitizing. I've never done a secondary so I was kind of hoping I could just throw the chips in the primary after a week (I usually go 3 full weeks or more in primary).

Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it. I think I will add the chips to the secondary and leave it for a month while periodically checking it for flavor.

MMB, I appreciate your input as well. I think your idea would be better, but I already have a huge bag of oak chips that I got from the Newport Brewery. I kinda want to use what I got.

MMB, I appreciate your input as well. I think your idea would be better, but I already have a huge bag of oak chips that I got from the Newport Brewery. I kinda want to use what I got.

Chips will impart a flavor faster as they have more surface area. I'd limit the amount in the secondary or limit the time on the chips depending on OG.

Good information on that podcast link, btw. I'd never thought to oak an Oatmeal Stout. That's my next project. :D

Chips will impart a flavor faster as they have more surface area. I'd limit the amount in the secondary or limit the time on the chips depending on OG.

Good information on that podcast link, btw. I'd never thought to oak an Oatmeal Stout. That's my next project. :D

Another good point...

How many chips should I use if they are say.......1 inch squares?

The brew strong Podcasts are great, but sometimes over my head. I am a beginner.

Another good point...

How many chips should I use if they are say.......1 inch squares?

The brew strong Podcasts are great, but sometimes over my head. I am a beginner.

For chips I would go 1 oz to 1.5 oz in the secondary for about a month and then sample and see where you're at.

That seems like a long time, I used 1 oz of oak chips in a 1.070 OG brew, they were in the secondary for 10 days and I got a really strong oak flavor. The chips also came with a warning about how quickly they will impart flavor to a beer and how strong.

There are a lot of variables that will affect how long oak should be left - surface area to volume ratio of the chips/cubes, the recipe of the beer, its temperature, and (most importantly) how much you like oak flavors - so it's hard to give a set duration for how long is best to leave the oak in contact with the beer. I think the podcast suggested that you taste the beer every few days (or at least once a week) to see how the beer is developing, and that way you can bottle it (or remove the oak) when it's at the level you like. That's a little more effort than deciding to leave it a week or a month, but it'd remove the risk of having a beer with too little or too much oak in it.

That seems like a long time, I used 1 oz of oak chips in a 1.070 OG brew, they were in the secondary for 10 days and I got a really strong oak flavor. The chips also came with a warning about how quickly they will impart flavor to a beer and how strong.

It does seem like a long time on oak, but if it is a proper Oaked AB clone, the oak is going to compete with the chinook and the alcohol burn for a complex flavor.

It should age well. :D

Dug up this old thread because I'm considering oaking an IPA (something like the AB.) I have an Oaked Bourbon Porter that's been aging in the basement since February. With that one, soaking the oak in bourbon for a couple of weeks did the sanitizing. I know that the normal way to sanitize a none bourbon oaked beer is to steam the oak, but the thought of soaking in vodka crossed my mind. Stupid idea? :eek:

i am new to the game. was at the brew supply store (again) yesterday. Seems you can't get out of there for less than a Hundy each trip! My fist batch is kicking in at about $5 a bottle. Better be good!

Anyways, They were doing a boil at the store and added the oak wood chips to that initial boil, for about 15 minutes at the end. said it would make beer smoother.

i am doing an extract wheat beer and was considering cherry wood chips in the same fashion. will it be ruined? if it is, will it be the last one i ruin ??

Just brewed an yeti Ag from AHS, added 3 shots of espresso and am soaking light american oak chips in bourbon and going to add about 1.5 oz to the secondary for maybe a week. This should do the trick. If I want more oak, ill know the next time. But i heard too much oak ruins it.

Back