Question about My Fermentation Situation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppyhoppyhippo

Reaction score
I live in Northern New Hampshire, throught the summer the high in my basement got to about 65. It generally sits in the 55-60 range as my furnace in the winter does a decent job keeping the basement semi-warm. My question for those who brew in colder climates. What larger scale methods of brewing do you utilize? I'm in an interesting situation where I have less time to brew in the summer than the Winter. My job is not seasonal but from November-April I have a lot more time than I do May-October. I don't really intend to often do winter brews mainly because my setup is outdoor and I don't have a garage/shed so once snow starts falling 5 gallon batches are out. My stove is a mediocre electric stove so I can basically cap out at 2 gallons tops for all-grain. I do have a 1 gallon system I use for test beers and weird beers. So my question is this. How should I go about getting better yield in the summer? My current system (for 5 gallons) is basically 4 fermenters. I have 2 6.5 gallon pails, 1 6.5 gallon carboy, and 1 fastferment conical. I love the conical, it's done well by me. I'm getting used to it but it's produced solid results in fermentation. But my concern is this. I'm looking at my basically finished ale and seeing the temp is 60. I know that's not gonna cut it. I do have the jacket for the fastferment so I am getting into the habit of wrapping the fermenter in that to get better fermentation activity, but my concern is when it gets colder.

So my question is, are there ale yeasts that work really well in around a 60 degree ambient temperature? Aside from some suggestions like building a freezer fermenter is there another good way to get larger scale temperature control? I'm just curious as to anything that people who live in similar climates with similar brewing situations as myself.

So you know my situation on ales. I have a porter in the primary now. I'm cold crashing it as the Krausen has basically all dropped out. It didn't wind up quite as I intended, I screwed something up in the mashing. But it will be beer and hopefully good. after cold crashing final hydrometer and tasting before I add blueberries and maple to it. Let that sit for a little bit to get the flavor I want and then keg it. Next up I plan on brewing in about a week and half. Next week my parents are coming up to visit and I won't have time to brew with them there. So it will be the next day off I have in 2 weeks. I have a belgian strong ale I want to brew and probably let that chill in secondary for a little bit because my experience is those tend to be a bit harsh right after fermentation. I currently have a cider sitting in one of my pails which is taking forever to ferment. It is fermenting, but it's been going since May. I haven't pulled the plug on it and called it a sweet and weak cider yet because it keeps dropping. I want to get another IPA done before snow falls and maybe one more beer? I'm probably gonna lager something just because it seems to be the ideal situation for the winter, but I personally love me my ales.

Thanks for any help in advance!

I think your a prime candidate for an electric system like the robobrew , mash n boil or Grainfather ect. You can brew anytime no matter how cold it is outside . I also think you need to build a fermentation chamber that you can keep warm via light bulb or fermwrap. I used to use a small chest freezer with a Inkbird 308 and a fermwrap. Off topic I love New Hampshire . My wife and I drove from California a few years ago during the fall. Absolutely spectacular.

So my question is, are there ale yeasts that work really well in around a 60 degree ambient temperature?

Nottingham is super clean at 60F, and 34/70 is pretty good too. However, with that being said they perform well with temperature control and temp swings will most likely produce off flavors with the majority of yeast.

You can use a mini-fridge (without freezer compartment) off of craigslist, a temp controller, and fermwrap for probably under $100 if you're patient.

Nottingham is super clean at 60F, and 34/70 is pretty good too. However, with that being said they perform well with temperature control and temp swings will most likely produce off flavors with the majority of yeast.

You can use a mini-fridge (without freezer compartment) off of craigslist, a temp controller, and fermwrap for probably under $100 if you're patient.

My basement temp is pretty regular. There's some seasonal swings but it doesn't go too hot or too cold. Where I'm fermenting seems just about right as far as avoiding large swings.

I'm probably going to get some other means of controlling fermentation. But I'm not there yet. Mainly because I have like 3 other projects I have to get done before I can do my hobbies.

Where I'm fermenting seems just about right as far as avoiding large swings.

Well, you also have to remember that fermentation is exothermic so it'll create it's own heat and without a temp controller there will be temp swings.

A swamp cooler can help but won't be perfect. Put the fermentor in a bucket/tub of water with a tshirt over the fermentor dipping into the water. The shirt will wick the water as the water evaporates (losing heat). A small fan directed at the fermentor will help as well...

Cheers!

Fermwrap heater =$30, Inkbird ITC-308 temperature controller = $28. In your case you really don't need anything else. Get the temperature control, your beers will be better for it. And then you can use just about any yeast you want.

I think your a prime candidate for an electric system like the robobrew , mash n boil or Grainfather ect. You can brew anytime no matter how cold it is outside . I also think you need to build a fermentation chamber that you can keep warm via light bulb or fermwrap. I used to use a small chest freezer with a Inkbird 308 and a fermwrap. Off topic I love New Hampshire . My wife and I drove from California a few years ago during the fall. Absolutely spectacular.

Eventually I'm going to get an all electric system. We don't believe we'll be staying at our house for super long so my plan is to rough it for another year or so, if we aren't looking at moving out, then I'll make the jump. I generally don't drink enough to rip through beer, so brewing more often isn't 100% a need for me. My last keg which I screwed up my yield by poor handling lasted well over a month and that was a very drinkable IPA.

Well, you also have to remember that fermentation is exothermic so it'll create it's own heat and without a temp controller there will be temp swings.

A swamp cooler can help but won't be perfect. Put the fermentor in a bucket/tub of water with a tshirt over the fermentor dipping into the water. The shirt will wick the water as the water evaporates (losing heat). A small fan directed at the fermentor will help as well...

Cheers!
Fair enough. I'm a big fan of letting my beers rip. But I get what you're saying about controlling the temp. I don't think that's possible on my fast ferment given the size of it. I don't think I can buy something to temp contorl that other than what I'm doing which helps insulate more than anything else.

Fair enough. I'm a big fan of letting my beers rip. But I get what you're saying about controlling the temp. I don't think that's possible on my fast ferment given the size of it. I don't think I can buy something to temp contorl that other than what I'm doing which helps insulate more than anything else.

Fermwrap heater =$30, Inkbird ITC-308 temperature controller = $28. In your case you really don't need anything else. Get the temperature control, your beers will be better for it. And then you can use just about any yeast you want.

Fair enough. I'm a big fan of letting my beers rip. But I get what you're saying about controlling the temp.

No, I get it.

Just something to think about. Fermentation temperature control is probably the last thing I would give up, and IMO it has the most influence on better beer than any other factor. It also allows you to brew whatever you want regardless of season...

i remember back when i lived in a duplex in mendo....inside temp was like 50f....i just started using lager yeast for all my beers in the winter months...

Got me into dark lagers and all that good stuff...Now if i want to use ale yeast in the winter, i duct tape a heating pad to the side of my fermenter...

Back