Question about my Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBooze

Reaction score
I have a gallon of Apfelwein that will be in the fermenter 4 weeks on Saturday. It is clearing, but not fully cleared. I am leaving for a week on Friday night and was wondering if I should go ahead and bottle, or will it be OK for another week in the fermenter (5 weeks)?

I also have a gallon of cider that I used Ale Yeast in, that has been fermenting the same amount of time. It isn't nearly as clear though as the apfelwein. I'd rather wait to bottle these until I get back, but want to do what is best.

you'll be fine to leave 'em. Unless your temps get way too crazy, but then again, if you bottled and your temps got crazy you'd be in the same boat....

you'll be fine

You are asking what EdWort already answered in his recipe:

"After at least 4 weeks, you can keg or bottle, but it is ok to leave it in the carboy for another month or so." -- EdWort

You will be fine. Leave them both.

No! Don't listen to Vic, EdWort, or AZ IPA. Rack that stuff now or else it'll grow tentacles and take over the world, enslaving us all in it's eldritch grasp!!! ;)

Or listen to them and let it sit until it clears. It'll clear out in time.

Ah, I remember my first Apfelwein. The brewing, not the drinking. That part of my memory is lost forever along with the pants I was wearing at the time, and the receipt for the penguin I bought.

Ah, I remember my first Apfelwein. The brewing, not the drinking. That part of my memory is lost forever along with the pants I was wearing at the time, and the receipt for the penguin I bought.

I just bottled my first batch tonight! Just the last bit out of the bottling bucket gave me quite a buzz! Whoooooooo.

my questions is why you would only make 1 gallon of apfelwein?

I made a gallon with Montrachet yeast and a gallon with Ale Yeast. Once I figure out which one I like better, I will make a 5 gallon batch! Plus most of my bottles have beer in them right now.

What ale yeast did you use? I have had good results with Nottingham. I even used a leftover packet of plain Munton's ale yeast and it turned out good. This stuff is hard to screw up.

i didn't think muntons could handle the alcohol and would crap out too early?

That's why I tried it. The montacharet (sp?) made it too dry for my taste. So what came out was closer to an apple beer than an apple wine, but they still packed a punch.

Back