Question about my Caribou Slobber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyeBrewer

Reaction score
Hello, I am currently brewing my first attempt of Caribou Slobber Brown Ale Kit. (My second brew ever.). I started with an OG of 1.054 and brewed at about 65 degrees for two weeks. I went to check the gravity to see where it was today and I got a reading of 1.024. To me that seems like it still has a ways to go. So I checked my recipe and there is no indicated final gravity. Either way I think I'll give it another week and see where I am at but I was just wondering if anyone had any advise for me. Thanks!

That does seem a bit high for an FG for that beer. Remember that fermentation isn't done until you get a couple stable gravity readings over a couple days. Your yeast may just have some more work to do.

Are you AG or extract? How much of what yeast did you pitch?

The kit contained 1 bag of grains and two extracts one dry and one syrup. The yeast pitched was 1 packet of Danstar Windsor Ale yeast.

I did a similar (Moose Drool) that finished at 1.020 after 3 weeks. It was supposed to finish at 1.017, but I bottled anyway with no ill effects. Try warming the fermenter and gently stirring it. Let it ride for another 5-7 days.

1016 after 3 weeks for me. 1020 is probably not a terrible fg for this beer. 1024 seems a bit high yet. Check again in 1 week. One of my favs so far and of everyone that's tried it. Plan on 3 weeks in the bottle until it's darn good.

I used the Danstar Windsor Ale yeast. I like the idea of warming and slight stir to see if I can awaken the yeast. This is because I know I keep a Woodstove in my house and the temp may have dropped a little at night as we neared the end of winter and were able to get by without filling the stove to its normal full potential. Meaning the temp drops that occurred overnights last week could have lead to a slowed primary fermenation. Does this make sense to anyone!?

I used Windsor when I brewed this a while back, my FG was 1.015. 1.024 does seem high but many extract beers finish at 1.020 (mine was AG). It could be done. Warming it up may be a good idea but if you check the FG in a few more days and it's unchanged, it's likely done.

My first brew was CS and OG was 1.053. I left it in the primary for 29 days, and had a FG of 1.013. The yeast I used was Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale,
finished with ABV 5.2.

I used the Wyeast 1332 (Northwest Ale) and also made a 1L starter. Left in primary 4 weeks before taking reading since this beer needs time apparently. Finished around 1.012 IIRC. It is delicious after 3 weeks in bottles.

Back