Question about mixing micro-batches of Star-San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juno_Malone

Reaction score
So, I've got access to a 10-1000 uL pipette, and I'd like to use it to make micro (~2 cup) batches of StarSan solution. The only thing is, I'm not sure if their directions refer to fluid ounces or ounces by weight when they say to mix 1 "oz" of StarSan concentrate with 5 gallons of water.

IF they are indeed referring to fluid ounces, then you could use 0.2 fl oz per gallon of water, or 0.025 fl oz of StarSan per 2 cups of water which comes out to 740 uL.

So, I just wanted to see if anyone knew whether that "1 oz" refers to fluid ounces (and also maybe double check my math on the 740ul for 2 cups of water). Thanks!

Do you have one of the bottles with the auto-measure feature? If so, fill it and pour it into something else you can measure it with.

star-san_1.jpg

It's volume (fluid ounces). My StarSan bottle has both oz and ml on the side to measure. Since you have a pipette I would convert everything to metric to make things easier.

It's volume (fluid ounces). My StarSan bottle has both oz and ml on the side to measure. Since you have a pipette I would convert everything to metric to make things easier.

Awesome, thanks! Sounds like I'll be able to fill up that top reservoir with a tiny bit of StarSan and draw 740ml out of there to whip up a 2-cup microbatch of solution.

Back