Question about line length for use with picnic tap.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaobrien6

Reaction score
I'm going to setup a keg with CO2 and a picnic tap for a BBQ and I've never used a picnic tap before (other than with an air pump style tap). How long do I want my beer line for this setup to minimize any foaming problems? I'm assuming I will set the PSI just high enough to push the beer out at a reasonable pace. I don't want 10' of line like I have in my kegerator. Will there be any problems if I just use like 3' or something? Can I go even shorter as long as the serving pressure is low enough? Just looking for some feedback before I start into the trial and error process on Saturday.

Ok, found this thread (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/party-tap-length-164443/) after doing some further searching that says I was on the right track, I can go as short as I want as long as I turn the pressure down.

So now the question is how short should I go to reduce any foaming issues due to beer warming in the line? It'll be out of the sun and being used pretty regularly so the beer isn't going to sit in the line and warm up like crazy, but would still like to reduce that problem as much as possible.

From what I've learned (short period of time) is that you can use a short bev line that is short if you turn down the pressure. However, if you leave it at low pressure, your keg with eventually equillibrate to that pressure. I have 6' bev line running off my kegs in my fridge on 10-11 psi. I get some foaming, but not too bad and I'm still experimenting.

Latest posts

Back