Question about light during 1st fermentation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

JamesBenjamin

Reaction score
Ok, for my first batch I decided to start with hard cider (instead of beer) just to get used to some of the equipment/techniques before going all out. I've got my cider in the carboy (the big plastic jar?) with the airlock and it bubbled furiosly after about 3 days (recipe said 1-2 days), then that subsided. My recipe says the cider should go translucent after 10-14 days and it hasnt yet. (today is day 10).

now I have the cider in the basement, where it stays a steady 68-70 or so, but I do have those small basement windows with no curtains letting light in during the day (they're about 12 by 18 inches). Is this a huge problem? I'm assuming the light might just retard the yeast a bit so it might take longer, but last night I covered the container with a big cardboard box to block the light. So how do you think this will affect the fermentation process?

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
not sure about ciders, but UV rays will "skunk" a beer. just wrap a towel or a t-shirt around your glass carboy. from what i have read in the past, to "skunk" a beer, it takes about 10-15 minutes of exposure to UV rays.
(btw, plastic bucket is your primary fermenter, glass carboy is your secondary)

good luck with the cider!
DeRoux's Broux

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I believe a cider will be fine, as long as....
...you didn't use hops in it!!!

Hop oils react with light and cause the skunky properties in beer.

Therefore, I believe a (hopless!) cider will be just fine.

Sam75 and I were just talking about this the other day--because the owner of our LHBS has big glass carboys off mead sitting under flourescent lights all day. I was curious, so I investigated....

I'll look for the source so we can all read it!

Janx

Reaction score
Even in hopped beers, it's not a huge thing to worry about in small doses and short time frames. Best practice is to keep them in the dark, but you'd be hard pressed to taste a real difference in your normal beer. A lot of skunking in commercial beers takes place in the bottle due to long storage in poor conditions. With cider, I don't think it should make any difference at all for the reasons ORRELSE mentioned above.

OP
OP
J

JamesBenjamin

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the input! I think if nothing else it might have slowed the process, but otherwise it seems fine. I've had basically a big cardboard box over it for a few days and it seems like the color is changing already! I'll just give it an extra week or so before I move to the 2nd fermentation and i'll probly be ok.

Thanks guys!

And I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later, haha.