Question about lautering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molson

Reaction score
I did some research on this and I'm pretty sure I know the answer but just want to make sure. I'm mashing in a cooler, and after the mash while I'm collecting the wort in my kettle its a bad idea to stir the grain bed to get all the wort to drain right? What would the effects of doing this be?

You want the grain bed to settle before draining so that it creates a filter for the little barley pieces that would otherwise burn during the boil adding a less desirable flavor to the brew. If you try to drain without letting the grain bed settle it will clog up quickly; which makes you have to close the drain, stir the mash, wait, wait, and then try to drain again. Anyone who has ever had a mash tun clog, knows it sucks and makes a long process, even longer.

Ok so by constanly stiring the grain bed to get the last bit of wort drained out, it caused alot of hulls and grain pieces to get into the boil. This would cause the finished beer to have a bitter taste correct?

Back