question about lagering temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zurcj20

Reaction score
From what I've read, when lowering to lagering temp you should do it a few degrees at a time. Is this necessary because I can hold primary at about 52 but my keezer is set at 37. Can I just go from 52 to 37?

From what I've read, when lowering to lagering temp you should do it a few degrees at a time. Is this necessary because I can hold primary at about 52 but my keezer is set at 37. Can I just go from 52 to 37?

Are you doing a diacetyl rest at the end of primary? I generally do, even if I pitch cold and haven't used a notorious diacetyl-producing yeast. I'd raise to room temperature (or 10 degrees above fermentation) at the end of primary, then rack the beer before lagering. You can drop the temperature quickly, if you'd like, as long as the FG is reached before the lagering.

If you lower it too fast, you will shock the yeast, causing them to fall out of suspension and go dormant. No reason to rush something that's going to take a few weeks anyway.

Sometimes you DO want the yeast out of suspension as soon as you start lagering. If you are done with fermenting, and there is no diacetyl or unwanted flavors, then it is done, get them to bed. If you pitched yeast COOL rather than warmer, there is a good chance you will have minimal clean-up time.

In my mind there are 2 reasons to drop temp carefully:
1. To keep yeast active so that they may clean up while being chilled down.
2. To prevent your cooler or fridge from overshooting the temp you want, and inadvertently freezing your beer.

If these aren't a concern, then crash away as fast as you want.

Yep, if you do a diacetyl rest then you can crash the beer down to lagering temps as fast as you want.

Back