question about Joe's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcwiehler

Reaction score
So I want to make Joes quick grape mead (recipe below). I want to make a 5 gallon batch. A few questions:

1) Do i need to make a yeast starter, or can i just rehydrate and pitch
2) How much extra sorbate and campden do i need to add to make up for the extra must?

Recipe Type: All Grain Yeast: Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast Starter: Add Dry Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No Batch Size (Gallons): 1 Original Gravity: ? Final Gravity: 1.000 or less Boiling Time (Minutes): 1 Color: Deep Red Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14-21 Additional Fermentation: No Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Joe's Grape Mead / Pyment / Melomel

Ingredients
2 lbs Clover honey
1 oz buckwheat honey
64-oz Welch's Grape Juice with Vitamin C added- Make sure it has no preservatives in ingredients other than Vitamin C added (A.K.A. Absorbic Acid)
Balance water if you need it to make 1 gallon after adding honey mixed in water (don't use too much water in honey mix or you'll end up with more than you bargained for.
Lalvin EC-1118

Methods/steps
Just finished bottling my first Grape Mead Melomel or Pyment whatever one wishes to call it and it was started on November 4th and is simply wonderful to drink already. It was ready in 5 weeks!
Thought I would share my recipe with you, as it is the youngest best tasting, quick mead I have had thus far. Too bad
It will ferment super fast to dry (about 13% alcohol) because of type of yeast and all the nutrients and natural sugars in Welch's grape juice. It should be to SG =1.000 or less in 14- 21 days max.
Rack to clean carboy over mixture of 6-oz honey, 6-oz Welch's grape juice, 1/2t of Sorbate and 1/2 crushed campden tablet.
It will stabilize and clear fast. Let it clear and set for another 2 weeks and it will be ready to bottle and drink.
It will be medium sweet but smooth and drinkable right away. If you want it semi sweet use 4-oz honey instead of 6-oz / gal.
The only reason I used the Campden (Sulphite) is because my understanding is that using both Potassium Sorbate and Sulphite together will definitely inhibit renewed fermentation and it did for me.
Color is deep red, has nice legs on sides of glass after swirling, good nose and great balanced taste) Just don't tell everybody you used Welch's. I won't. Because the juice is clear to start, clearing is naturally fast, fast, fast.

You can just rehydrate the yeast and then add it to the must.

For additions, you just multiply by the batch size. So, in this case, you'd multiply by 5. You have time to get more sorbate, if you need it, since you only use it at the end before sweetening.

No need for a starter - just rehydrate according to the manufacturer's recommendations.

Potassium Metabisulfite - use 1/4 teaspoon per five gallons
Potassium Sorbate - use 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

Concur with the other replies..........

Oh and 1 sachet of yeast is enough for up to 5 gallons so you don't need to multiply that by 5, just the other ingredients (unless you want to of course)........

regards

fatbloke

Back