Question About Iodophor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerlover_NZ

Reaction score
Hey guys I was wanting to know if any of you guys can tell me if the Iodophor you use for sanitizing your homebrew equipment contains any phosphoric acid?. The reason I ask this is because the only place I can get Iodophor is from a farm supply store (but I do know a farmer that uses it), it is used over here in NZ for sanitizing milking equipment after cows have been milked. It contains iodine and phosphoric acid if the iodophor is the same over here as it is in the USA then I know I can use it safely if not then I won't bother getting some. If someone could post the contents stated on the label I would highly appreciate it.

Many of us use dairy grade sanitizers in brewing as well. Mine only lists the amount of titratable iodine in it.

There's little to worry about the phosphoric acid, since Starsan is 50% Phosphoric acid. And coca cola contains it as well.

Phosphoric acid is registered as a bactericide and disinfectant. It is used to disinfect dairy farm milk handling facilities, equipment and dairy animals, and food processing water systems. It is also used to disinfect food processing/handling areas, kitchens, and bathrooms. It may also be used in eating establishments for sterilizing equipment and utensils. Agriculturally, phosphoric acid is registered as an adjuvant.

Actually an iodophor/phosphoric acid blend would be very effective microbe killer.

I just looked online and iodophor/phosphoric acid blends are quite common in the food handling industry.

This is from the Iodophor I get from my LHBS, made by National Chemical Products.

Butoxy polypropoxy polyethoxy ethanol-iodine complex (providing 1.6% titratable iodine) 12.54%
Other inert ingrediants 87.46%

It doesn't say anything about Phospheric acid but the MSDS says it has Hydriotic acid, so I don't know.

http://www.nationalchemicals.com/msds/documents/MSDSBTFIodophor5_09.pdf

Not sure if this helps you ;)

Hi Revvy and Kraghead
Thankyou for the info that was very appreciated that is exactly what I wanted to know so atleast I now know I am good to go on the NZ made Iodophor:mug:

Back