Question about hydrometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmarshall

Reaction score
Have this one: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/beer-and-wine-triple-scale-hydrometer.html

It came with my kit that my girlfriend bought for valentines day....

My question is, would I benefit at all by an upgrade to the more expensive lab grade hydrometers? I don't mind paying for them if it will make a difference.... If so, what scale should I be aiming for? I would never need below 1.000 would I?

For beer, you will probably not to go below 1.000.

As far as benefitting from a lab grade piece, the question really is how. Will knowing your gravity to a greater precision help you to brew better beer? Maybe, but I can think of a number of different things that are generally more important for new brewers.

If you really want to get some nice glass, though, consider getting a few to cover the range. I'd have to check but I believe that my set goes from 1.000-1.030 (final grav), 1.030-1.060 (moderate beer OG), and 1.050-1.100 (big beer OG). I like 'em. I brewed for years before I got 'em, though, and was perfectly happy.

If you ever want to make a hard cider, it's nice to have one that goes below 1.

Back