Question about Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
So I'm about to brew my VERY FIRST batch of home brew tomorrow. I am super excited! :)

I will be using Hop pellets in my batch. Do I have to use a hop bag or anything like that? I do not have one. I was just planning on throwing the Hops straight into the boil.

Also, It does not say anywhere in the John Palmer book "How to Brew" to use a hop bag.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

p.s.-The beer I'm brewing for my first batch is the "Cincinnati Pale Ale." has anyone brewed this before? Can anybody tell me what it tastes like? Is it any good? I'm following the recipe in the book which is this:

CINCINNATI PALE ALE

OG=1.045

30 IBUs

3.3 lbs. pale malt extract syrup (I am using "Gold" extract syrup. is that ok?)

2.5 lbs. amber dry malt extract (I'm using sparkling amber. is that ok?)

0.5 oz. of Nugget hops for bittering.

1 oz. of Cascade hops for finishing.

11.5 g packet of Safale US-05 yeast

Thanks in advance for all the comments!

You can use a hop bag or not use one. I just toss em in, I feel it gets more out of them. They just sink to the bottom and become sludge anyway. If you don't want the sludge going into your primary, just don't let it go in. Filter it out or just make sure it doesn't fall.

The recipe looks fine and bag/no bag won't change the brew. Bagging just makes clean-up a little easier.

It's your choice (like so much in brewing) whether or not to use hopsacks. I did the first two or three batches, and stopped, just like straining the wort before putting it in the fermenter.

I find that it is best to try it one way, then try things a different way next time. And eventually you will fnd what works best for you. That's the cool thing about this hobby, just about nearly every approach works, and what you end up doing as you progress in this hobby, is that you develop yown unique brewing process.

Good luck!

Hey Revvy, So you don't strain the wort before putting into the fermenter? Cause I like that idea if there is no side effects.

Hey Revvy, So you don't strain the wort before putting into the fermenter? Cause I like that idea if there is no side effects.

Some dump everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Some use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

I have done it all ways. It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you. That's how you develop you own unique brewing process. By trying all ways and deciding what works best for you.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

But pretty much up until I got my immersion chiller for christmas last year I just dumped for the majority of my batches.

I've never strained anything or used a hop bag. Everything has settled out great. I've been letting my beers sit for 3 weeks, then bottle and they are pretty clear.

Back