Question about hop addition at flameout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VApatriot

Reaction score
If a recipe calls for a hop addition at flameout, or at 0 min. How long do you leave them in for? Do you just put them in and then turn off the flame and then take them right back out again? Or do you leave them in until the wort is cooled down to pitching temp and then take them out? Thanks.

what if I put them in and then poured them right into the fermenter because they were leaf hops and my screen wasn't in my funnel? People talk about a grassy flavor from dryhopping, would that be the same as 2 weeks in primary?

+1. teu1003 is right

what if I put them in and then poured them right into the fermenter because they were leaf hops and my screen wasn't in my funnel? People talk about a grassy flavor from dryhopping, would that be the same as 2 weeks in primary?

It's possible. But I wouldn't worry about it. Lot's of folks do this. The result will be slightly different than if you didn't leave them in, but it's not possible for me to say that it will be better or worse. Eitherway, it will be just fine, nothing to worry about.

You leave them in while it cools, then put the wort in the fermenter. You can strain them out or not, whichever you prefer. There won't be any noticeable taste effects from leaving them in, so it really doesn't matter if you strain or not.

When using leaf hops, my boilermaker screen will filter them out for me, so I leave them in, knock the flame out and begin running my IC. The run off the "filtered" wort into the fermentor. My screen cannot deal with pellets, so if using those, I use a paint strainer bag in the boil. I leave it in intil just before run off into the fermentor, then take it out. There are people who toss everythign in the fermentor, including hops, and don't have any flavor issues with it. See what works best for you and go from there.

I throw all additions right into my BK, and when cool, drain thru the ball valve and dump the gook and hops onto the compost pile.

I can't quite get to the bottom of the keg of a nice DH'd IPA, and the end is generally vegetal by the time it kicks. I have taken to only DHing when I am about to put it in the kegerator, and aiming to finish it before it goes vegetal.

The answer is, of course, yanking the bag out after the aroma peaks, but I am lazy, and would rather just try to drink it faster. :D

Knowing this, I would not want to put my hops into my fermenter, as I hop like crazy, and I know that the extra time on the hops would make it taste vegetal.

But people do.

Cool! Thanks everybody. Now I know what to do. I use mesh bags for my hop additions. I find it easier than trying to strain them out of the wort or having a bunch of extra stuff in the primary.

I've had the best results adding them when the wort has cooled to 180f then I leave them be for 20-30 minutes.

Back