Question about growing hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scb-ale

Reaction score
I am relatively new to home brew and I was looking into purchasing some rhizomes. My question is if I can plant a rhizome in July for next year or should I wait to plant next spring? I live in Massachusetts so it gets cold but I would like to establish the plants before next year. Thanks for any advise!

I'm on Long Island, planted rhizomes a little late (early June) and they are growing, but not exactly flurishing. I also bought a few field plants from Great Lakes hops and have them potted until I decide where in the yard to put them and they are showing more growth. With that said, we don't expect much in the way of usable cones in the first year or two so, as long as the root system develops I think you'll be good.

I am relatively new to home brew and I was looking into purchasing some rhizomes. My question is if I can plant a rhizome in July for next year or should I wait to plant next spring? I live in Massachusetts so it gets cold but I would like to establish the plants before next year. Thanks for any advise!

My understanding of hops is that they start to produce a good yield of hops when the root mass is well developed. Living in Massachusetts, if you plant now they will grow but then go dormant for the winter living off their reserves in the root. My sense is that you'll go the entire next year without a good crop as the root recovers and finishes developing.

An alternative would be to start them in a pot that you can bring inside when the weather turns cold. That way you can keep them going all winter, trimming back the bines that will encourage root growth. Then next spring you can transplant the mature root mass for the best growth next summer.

Then again, I"m new to hop growing so I'll defer to the more experienced people on the validity of this plan.

Back