Question about group buy concept

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiogorillaz

Reaction score
First, is this where they are organized or is that somewhere else in the forums?

I'm not an all-grain brewer yet but I'm hoping that changes Christmas day. 😉 If I wanted to buy a large quantity of a type of grain how do I research which kind that is. They are called base malts right? My assumption is that one would buy a large quantity of X malt and have that in every recipe. Am I assuming that correctly? Then say you want to brew a stout, I'd then go to my LHBS and buy the additional specialty grains?

I hope I'm understanding recipe formulation because I have not done that yet due to the nature of extract.

Group buys tend to be regional. You need to find a home brew club or a group of people who run one a few times a year. I've bought from Buffalo group buys a few times. Last time I bought from a group buy in Pittsburgh, which is 4.5 hours away. finding one can be a challenge, but this is a good place to start.

They are worth it, but they are a lot of work for the guys who run them. We had one in Buffalo for a few years, but it's harder and harder to find them. Generally, you need someone with access to a loading dock. Also, you need to order by the pallet. It takes a lot of grain to fill a pallet. I think it's 42 sacks per pallet.

Generally, you'll save about half on grain. You usually have to buy full sacks (~50-55 lbs), or you can split sacks with other buyers. In some cases you can get hops and chemicals as well. The more you buy, the more you save. I generally just buy base malts like 2-row, Pearl, Maris Otter, or Munich. Specialty grains are often available, but I'll never use 50 lb of crystal 60, so I buy them at the LHBS.

Most base malts are fairly interchangeable, but they will impact the flavor of your beer. English malts tend to be a little breadier. US malts are a little cleaner. When in doubt, pick one you like and use it in most of your recipes. You can't go wrong with 2-row. I personally love Maris Otter and Pearl, but I like malty beers.

Hope that helps.

Yes that helps a ton. I also continued to look around on here and found the group buy section. I'll have to do more research on what I like by following a few recipes before landing on a base malt I like. I guess my question was super premature.

On the other hand, my dad is from Pittsburgh and I grew up in the Lehigh Valley. Sounds like you might live in PA.

I live in Buffalo, NY. My family is originally from the Pittsburgh, PA area, so I'm there a lot. My parents, grandparents, and brother still live there. Otherwise I probably wouldn't do the drive to get grain. The gas would cost more than the $ I'd save. If I combine a visit with a grain buy, it's well worth it.

Good luck finding a local grain buy!

Back