Question about grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRob90

Reaction score
How long are they good for?

I am brewing a Urca Vanilla Porter tomorrow (Partial mash) so I ran down to my local brew store to buy some extra equipment. I had a question about a Cream Ale extract kit the owner did in a beginners class a week or so back. Him and I got to talking, one thing led to another and BOOM! Bought 10lbs of grain to do an all grain creme ale. So now I have this Porter that I REALLY want to do tomorrow, but 10lbs of grain for a creme ale also sitting here. Can I let the grain sit till next Saturday? I simply don't have the time to brew twice this weekend (Although I would love to.)

I have used grains that have been milled that I store in a cool / dry basement in a food grade bucket that are 2+ months old with no noticable difference.

One week is no big deal, you'll be alright. Months would be an issue. If they're already milled they'll go south faster. But again, one week is nothing to worry about

My local home brew shop has quoted me 1 month as a time frame in which you should use your milled grains for maximum freshness. Just keep them in a cool, temperature stable location in sealed plastic bags until use.

Back