Question about Gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZFrag

Reaction score
I was wanting to ask a noob question. I am building my HERMS unit. I am copying Blackheart's build. He advocated using low flow natural gas for his burners. Cheaper, cleaner, etc. Use less too. Well, natural gas is not available in my area. I was wondering if I could get a tank and fill it like propane? Anyone know about gas stuff? How hard would it be to change to electric? Would I have any trouble scorching my wort if I went electric?

I believe you would need a much larger tank to get the equivalent btus of propane because it comes in a compressed gaseous state unlike propane.
Propane can be liquefied with just a couple hundred psi at room temp, but natural gas needs to be cooled (-260F) to get to/stay in a liquid state.

Propane is probably a better/cheaper choice.

If natural gas is not available then switching to low pressure propane system is relatively simple, all the needed parts are available and not expensive. A typical setup for low pressure propane would use the same honeywell valve, pilot and thermocouple, as you would with natural gas, 3 conversion parts are needed but 2 of the three are typically shipped with the valve and pilot burner. Burner conversion is a simple gas jet swap with a $8 valve/gas jet assembly, valve conversion needs a flat blade screwdriver and spring included with gas control valve , and the pilot, 2-end wrenches to unscrew pilot body fitting and swap the pilot orifice included in the package. There are a number of low pressure propane systems in use and a number of threads with pictures showing how they built the gas supply and connected the various parts. If you need additional help with part numbers or sources just ask and I will post the links to suppliers, or you can try shopping Ebay with the needed part numbers if you have the time and want to save some cash.

If you can cancel the order for that burner I would do so now, because the conversion would cost more than what you will pay for an alternate burner. The 10" banjo burner is what you need for brew system building and the easy conversion with just changing one $8 part vs. all of the brass nozzles at$3-$5 each.
The 10 and 23 jet burners are not a good match for adjustability and conversion ease, also the heat output greatly exceeds what is practical for heating converted kegs. Most people have difficulty trying to get them to burn cleanly on propane when the fire is turned down, while the banjo burner will burn clean from low to high fire levels. A practical BTU rate under most keg and 15 gallon pots is about 55,000 -80,000 BTU's, more than that and all you get is the rest of the flames up the sides to burn up all the things sticking out. When you convert the 10" burners to low pressure propane the BTU rating comes down to 70,000 -80,00 range which is where you need to be.
Shop for the BG-14 "banjo" burner on Amazon or from the brew supply folks, I used to be able to find them at TSC but I can't seem to find a link to the burners any more.
Here is the link to ASC site with the lower cost BG-14 burners http://www.agrisupply.com/bg-high-pressure-cast-iron-burner-/p/64494/cn/5400000/, all that is needed for low pressure is this conversion valve http://www.williamsbrewing.com/HURRICANE-BURNER-LPG-GAS-VALVE-P2690C87.aspx.

Latest posts

Back