Question about first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treekiller

A tree is never safe
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,
Hope this is posted in an acceptable area.
Well I got my first batch done earlier this afternoon without a hitch (almost had one boil over just prior to the hot break, but I was vigilant in my watch and just slid the pot off the burner for a second or two and all was well). One Hefeweizen in the primary and I already have a fairly active airlock, thanks to the starter I got going two days in advance of brew day. One question though, I have the batch in a 6.5 gallon carboy and was wondering if I should use a blow off tube instead of the airlock? I am worried that due to the activity I am already experiencing that I may have a very big mess to clean up in the morning. At any rate I had a very good time making this batch and think that I am hooked for life. Thanks for all the information you all have posted here it has made my first batch a real joy.

I was just thinking I had better put the blow off tube in I have two inches of Krausen already and it looks as though it is still building, :D
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. This board has the best group of people I have ever seen.

Back