Question about Fermentors and Bottles/Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have one freezer I use as a fermenting chamber at the moment. I keep having drawbacks trying to source a second freezer as a kegerator, so I went ahead and put my 4 tap tower on my current freezer and set the temp to 40F.

I only emptied one keg, but still have a few bottles of home and commercial brew in there (and the CO2 tank), no other kegs. If I brew more ales, is it alright to let my current bottles heat up to 60-65, or is that going to ruin them since they are at 40F now? What about liqueurs like triple sec? If all that has to stay cold once it gets cold, I can move some to the upstairs fridge, but not all of them. What takes priority if I have to move some of them?

EDIT: I also have yeast (liq/dry) and hops (vac sealed) in there. Will those be alright in the mid 60s?

Personally I don't think letting things warm up again really does any damage especially to room temperature slowly by just taking them out of the fridge.

The beer will be fine. Get the hops in the freezer ASAP. Even if you keep your serving temp at 40 I'd get those hops in the freezer now. The yeast I'd move to your upstairs fridge to keep it as viable for as long as possible.

You can let them warm up and it will probably be ok. That's exactly what i used to do during the summer. Or you can do what i did and install a heated fermentor in you kegerator. The you can have cold brews and ferment or lager and serve from the same freezer. All you have to do is tape some flexwatt tape to a bucket or keg and get another temp controller.

Or you can do what i did and install a heated fermentor in you kegerator. The you can have cold brews and ferment or lager and serve from the same freezer. All you have to do is tape some flexwatt tape to a bucket or keg and get another temp controller.

That's a cool idea, but doesn't that cause your compressor to cycle on and off constantly?

No. You can insulate it if you are worried about it but I've tested with no insulation and I did not notice faster cycling when i just wrapped the heat tape around a keg with no insulation. I know that's not very scientific but there is a guy on here with 3 heated fermenters in the same freezer and I don't think he has them insulated either.

Back