Question about fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdfghjkl

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this and was wondering if adding chives in a beer would be a good flavor, or what is? thank you

I guess if you've added onions or chives to beer in your glass, and thought "Yum!", that would work. For most people I know onions (and chives) and beer don't mix. It sounds more than gross to me.

I guess if you've added onions or chives to beer in your glass, and thought "Yum!", that would work. For most people I know onions (and chives) and beer don't mix. It sounds more than gross to me.

probably the reason magnum hops are used for bittering and not flavor/aroma.

i digress, to each their own. but @ OP, try hops to flavor your beer, they're really quite tasty.

Brewing when you do have hops.You can make gruit ales. I didnt like mine alot it turned out really lemony. That is brewed with an herb called yarrow.Wether it was my source of dried yarrow or my 80 degree bottle conditon or just too much dried yarrow, that turned it lemons i dont know.

what would you recommend if I didnt have hops? and I can use potatoes? What is potato ale?

dude, are you for real? you could use potatoes as an adjunct in your mash, but not to replace hops, man. really, i think you're pulling our legs here.... but i'll play.
hops are used to flavor beer, balance out the maltyness or sweetness from the grains. other things like heather, juniper, pine tips etc. have also been used to bitter and flavor beer, but hops are the standard. in fact, in germany, if it contains anything other than barley, hops, water and yeast, it's against the law to call it 'beer'.
but i digress, you're asking if you can make a potato and chive beer... are you thinking sour cream and bacon bits in secondary? c'mon, i really think you're joking.

If I use hops could I use potatoes with oats in my mash? or should I stick with something more simple and leave out the potatoes?

Back