Question about fermentation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamorgan3777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I assume the answer to my question will be to 1, relax and 2, wait but I will ask it anyway. ;)

I started my batch on Nov 6 and its still bubbling (slowly). It didn't start for about 36 hours, but then started bubbling nicely. Then I thought it was stop after a few days, but its been almost 8 and seems to still be going. I would guess this means I pitched too few yeast (warmed up the vial and pitched it as is, but spilled some when I opened it). I would also guess that as long as its bubbling, its okay and to just leave it alone. I planned to leave it until Nov 20 and rack to my keg. What do you guys think?

It won't hurt to wait by any means. But if you want to check; pull a hydrometer sample, then take another a few days later. If the gravity doesn't change over those few days, it's done.

It is entirely possible fermentation has stopped, bubbles don't necessarily indicate the yeast are busy.

y6y6y6 said:
What would it indicate if not fermentation?

Changes in temperature or barometric pressure can cause CO2 to come out of solution and make the airlock bubble.

Sent from my FroyoEris using Home Brew Talk

You said it took 36 hours to show signs of fermentation,so subtract 1.5 days from that 8. It's not that long at 5.5 to 6 days. This time of year with no temp control,I'll call it good. Brewing is just like pit bbq; it takes as long as it takes. :mug:

Back