Question about fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellhammer

Reaction score
Hi guys im new here so heres my first question , i started my first liquid yeast hefeweizen on oct 15.

at first the temp was way too high at 28 degree C and the fermentation was crazy so i dropped temp to 20, and now im wondering if i screwed my batch , it has air presure but not bubbling (even tho i know no bubbles doesnt mean no fermentation)

So to resume can my batch be bad because it did ferment for one nigh at 28C?

and BTW i did not make a started for yeast but i oxygenated to the wort a lot and i mean A LOT before pitching!!

Thanks a lot!!

Temperature acts as a catalyst to fermentation, so when you fermented at about 82F/28C, you sped up the process. The result is a abbreviated, vigorous fermentation. The good news is that the beer is fine. The slightly bad news is that another byproduct of a vigorous fermentation above the yeast's ideal temp range is off flavors.

Again, however, the beer is fine. Leave it in primary for at least three weeks. After fermentation is complete, the yeast will go back and clean up a good bit of their byproducts. The off flavors that are left after fermentation will be easily conditoned out. Once you bottle, you'll need to give the beer about 6-8 weeks at 21C/70F to condition.

As long as you have a little patience, this will still turn out as a good beer!

Being a wheat beer,6-8 weeks in the bottle is a bit long. Hefe's are meant to be drunk young. But in this case,3-4 weeks may do it.

Sorry, missed the Hefe part....yeah, just give it some time to properly condition and you'll be fine.

Well i dont bottle , i keg and force carbonate and usually to whole process takes me around 4 weeks (fermentation included haha) and ive always had excellent beers , i know if i waited more it would be better but hey!! its good so i drink it :)!

Back