Question about fermentation of "big beer"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
I brewed up an all grain Imperial IPA last week, and the brew day went off without a hitch. My SG was 1.082, I aerated the wort thoroughly and used White Labs WLP051 California Ale V at around 12:30am. The next morning around 10 I noticed a small layer of krausen and by the afternoon fermentation was going strong. On 10/30 I noticed the krausen had fallen and the airlock is slowing down quite a bit. I took a sample and it's at 1.050, so I'm wondering why it's taking such a long time to ferment out.

This is my first "big" beer, so is it normal for higher gravity beers to take longer to ferment out completely? And in your experience about how long will a bigger beer take to ferment? Thanks!

Seems like there are lots of people having the same issue right now! For example, check my thread "Stuck fermentation with a belgian strong". I've seen a few other threads regarding stuck fermentation. I realized that I overlooked a couple of things. For one, my pitch rate was too low. Here is the text from Wyeast's technical information page on "High Gravity Brewing":

"Pitch Rates

Increased wort gravity causes increased stress on yeast due to increased osmotic pressure and increased alcohol levels. It is necessary to increase your pitch rates when increasing the wort gravity. A general rule of thumb is to pitch one million cells per milliliter per degree plato. So a 20 degree plato (1.080 s.g.) wort would require 20 million cells per milliliter per degree plato.

Home brewers will either need to pitch more packages of yeast or make a starter. When using an Activator 125ml package, 1 package to 5 gallons will give around 6 million cells per milliter. This is clearly too low for high gravity brewing and will cause inconsistent results and usually high terminal gravities."

My initial gravity was 1.088 and I only pitched one pack of Wyeast, so I should have increased that. The temps in my basement also got too low after the first few days of vigorous fermentation - they were at ~68 or so, way too low for a big belgian. My gravity was stuck at ~1.046 after 2 weeks. So I pitched a pack of Red Star champagne yeast (by my LHBS recommendation, others on here said they would have held off on that), and then stepped the temperature up to 72 - 80, and after a day of increased activity in the airlock, I've been agitating the beer every day to re-suspend the flocculated yeast.

The activity has been decent for the past week, but I haven't re-checked the gravity yet. I'm hoping I get down in the 1.02's at least before I rack to the secondary.

So anyway, maybe you could check your temperatures and make sure they're near the upper range of the WLP051 recommended temperature range. And after you know you have a relatively oxygen free headspace, (i.e. I don't know how long its been since you opened it up to check your gravity) start shaking up your carboy on a daily basis to wake up the yeast a bit.

There are probably several suggestions from others that will help you out too, this is also my first time encountering the problem so I'm still learning how to deal with it.

swirl it around. there is a layer of co2 in there so you don't have to worry about splashing. rouse that yeast back up.

other than that, it's going to take TIME. it could take up to a month sometimes, especially if you didn't use a starter.

swirl it around. there is a layer of co2 in there so you don't have to worry about splashing. rouse that yeast back up.

other than that, it's going to take TIME. it could take up to a month sometimes, especially if you didn't use a starter.

Yeah, in retrospect I should have used a starter. I was going to, but had some friends over for the brew day and just forgot. Next time, I'll do a big starter the day before. Fermentation hasn't completely stopped(yet), but if it does do you think pitching some dry Nottingham on it would help out? I've got a pack in the fridge and could throw it in there now. Also, my temps are sitting about 70F right now. Would it be OK to warm it up without producing esters/phenols?

+10000000000 on pitching more yeast. Making a decent size (2qts or more)starter will cure probably 90% of all problems people have making beer. Last week I pitched a 2 qt starter of Ringwood Ale yeast into a 1.070 wort and it was down to 1.012 in 6 days. With proper aeration and pitching rates you shouldn't even have to look at the beer and the yeast will be happy and work no questions asked, forget all that taking hydro readings, keeping high temps, and rousing yeast nonsense just pitch proper amounts and get on with your life.

For a beer that big, I would have brewed a session pale ale, then pitched that beer on the cake. Just sayin...:cross:

Back