question about dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glorifiedbusdriver

Reaction score
I brewed the 777 yesterday and had to buy some dry yeast instead of the white labs because my starter didn't do anything. :( I don't have much experience with dry yeast so I was wandering if this is normal...I woke up this morning to find that there were white clumps of something on the top of the wort. It kind of looks like the rehydrated yeast I poured in there. I smelled it and it smells fine, a little like bread though. I shook the fermenter for about 5 minutes to mix this stuff in but a little seems to stay on top. There is a little activity in the airlock but not much (a bubble every couple of minutes). Has anyone had this experience?

Did you stir the dry yeast in as you added it to the fermenter? I sprinkle it on top of the surface slowly, and stir it in with a sanitized spoon, making sure I get some sloshing to add oxygen.

I've had fabulous luck with dry!

Thanks for the replies guys...I didn't sprinkle the yeast, I rehydrated it according to the directions on the back and then poured this through a funnel into the carboy. I didn't stir, and I didn't aerate the wort because the package said it wasn't needed. Next time I'll stick something in there to stir it up a bit, I'm pretty sure that's all it is.

Back