Question about dry hopping.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt365

Reaction score
His is my first attempt at dry hopping. I added the hops to the secondary about two weeks ago. I am wondering, how long I should let it go? Will all the hops settle to the bottom eventually?

I typically don't dry hop longer than 7 days. If you're ready to bottle, go for it. If you want all the hops at the bottom, rock the carboy a few days or cold crash it in a fridge.

I use pellet hops which typically fall on their own to the bottom, I rack just above this layer to minimize hops in my bottles. When using leaf hops, they always seem to float so I rack below the layer and stop when I start picking up hop material. I typically hop between 7-14 days but have gone as short as 2 days and as long as 40 days. I thought the 40 day dry hopped beer tasted a little vegetal so now I stick to 7-21, but to each his (or her) own.

Leafs will mostly always float, pellets will eventually sink.

5-14 days for the dryhop is typical, but not a rule. I personally like the 0.50 to 0.75 oz. ratio of dryhops per gallon of IPA or IIPA.

Some brewers even do a multi-stage dryhop, whereupon smaller additions are added and subsequently removed in 3 or 4 installments, in 3 day increments. If your processes are good, and you avoid oxygenation, this method will provide the most aromatic of IPAs. Though, as previously stated, amateur homebrewers shouldn't do this without some know-how since oxygenation is a major risk.

Also one thing that's helped me out is putting a paint strainer bag on your siphon when racking to bottling bucket. I put the siphon in the bag then in the carboy and back out the siphon a little bit so there is space for the bag to filter.

Back