question about dry hopping in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
So, I did a 2.5 gallon all grain Pail Ale. It's been in a 5 gallon fermenter(smallest I had) for 2 weeks. I was planning on bottling at the 3 week mark, but wanted to Dry Hop if possible.

Since the airlock activity has been inactive for quite a while, would I risk oxidation if I just tossed in some hops considering all the headspace left in the primary?

Note: I plan on drinking this within the first couple of weeks its in the bottles.

No need to worry about oxidizing when you dry hop. To oxidize in such a short amount of time you would have to splash the beer around a bit.

Are you using whole hops or pellets?

Don't worry about it. Pellets is definitely easier when it comes to racking time. They sink to the bottom with the yeast.

Im using pellets. I plan on botlling in 1 week. I wanted to dry hop for that time.

I wont be racking to a secondary and have not pulled the stopper since I put in in the carboy on brew day. I know there is a precious cushion of co2 in the carboy, but wont that be compromised if I pull out the stopper to add the hops?

The yeast and the carbonation will scrub out any miniscule amount of O2 that the hops introduce. I've never had any oxidation problems from dryhopping.

Don't worry about it. Pellets is definitely easier when it comes to racking time. They sink to the bottom with the yeast.

I've always used a small cheesecloth bag for pellets. Are you saying it's possible to just throw 'em in the way they are and they'll settle out in the bottom with the rest of the trub? If so that would make things that much easier for me!

Absolutely. I always dry hop for two weeks, which gives them time to drop out. I give the carboy a gentle stir every day or so to help them out. I've had no trouble racking the beer, just be careful not to stir up the bottom. I've zip-tied a sanitized nylon hop bag on the outlet of the racking tube in the bucket, but I've found it to be unnecessary.

We are talking pellets here, whole hops is another story.

Thanks for the info Smizak. I've got an IPA on the go now and will try your method tonight!

Im using pellets. I plan on botlling in 1 week. I wanted to dry hop for that time.

I wont be racking to a secondary and have not pulled the stopper since I put in in the carboy on brew day. I know there is a precious cushion of co2 in the carboy, but wont that be compromised if I pull out the stopper to add the hops?

That is a good way to dry hop. I was listening to a Brew Strong podcast on dry hopping and the one guy always dryhopped in the primary to make sure there was enough yeast activity to take up any extra oxygen. I believe he usually did 7-10 days. If he was going for more than that he'd dryhop twice for 7-10 days each.

The Brewing Network.com - :

Back