Question about crystal and vienna malt.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bell0347

Reaction score
First, I notice that in alot of Jamil's recipes and others I have seen he might use say .5lbs of 40L and .5lbs of 120L. Why not just use 1lb of 80? Does splitting it create a more complex or different taste? In Jamil's book he also talks of simplifying recipes. So, just a little confused.

Also, is vienna a base malt. I notice like in Centennial Blonde that BM uses it at a rate of .5 lbs in that recipe. Is it used in the same way as above? Just to add complexity or is there some significant taste derived from it.

Crystal malts all have different flavors depending on the darkness of the roast. .5 lb 40L and .5 lb 120l will each impart unique flavors/aromas thus making a more complex malt character then just using 1 lb 80L. You will get the same color by using 1 lb. 80L, however.

The "layering" of crystal malts is a great way to stay in the proper color range for a style and make the beer different or more interesting.

Vienna can be a base malt, or just add a bit of complexity to a light beer (like the blonde).

My take is that 1# of C80 will impart a full, interesting malt flavor. It will be somewhat different than what you would get from 1/2# each of C40 and C120, but not necessarily any less interesting. Just different.

A larger dose of a single character malt can give a very distinctive flavor to a beer. More so, in my opinion, than by combining smaller amounts of two specialty malts.

Try the recipe both ways and see what you like best. That's part of the joy of homebrewing, trying stuff and finding what you like.

Your logic is right for the crystal malts if the only thing they did was color the beer. Every different lovibond crystal has a different taste, the lighter ones are sweeter, and the darker ones are more toffee, raisin, fig like.

As for the vienna, I consider it a base malt. I have a recipe that is 80% Vienna, and one that is 100% vienna. It has enough diastatic power to convert itself, so I consider it a base malt.

Many (if not all) recipes are based on what ingredients are kept on hand or are economical for the brewer to use. For instance, a very good mild may be made with mild malt, or with a pale ale malt and small amounts of specialty malts. Both will be similar in color, taste and aroma, but be radically different beers with respect to the malting processes used to make the ingredients. As brewers, we generally forget about the important role of maltsters and focus instead on recipe formulation and brewing processes. I personally do not like to rely on crystal malts for color and body adjustments, but it make sense to only stock c40 and c120 if you only want to use crystals heavily without keeping a dozen of them around.

Your logic is right for the crystal malts if the only thing they did was color the beer. Every different lovibond crystal has a different taste, the lighter ones are sweeter, and the darker ones are more toffee, raisin, fig like.

As for the vienna, I consider it a base malt. I have a recipe that is 80% Vienna, and one that is 100% vienna. It has enough diastatic power to convert itself, so I consider it a base malt.

What taste differences will Vienna bring, as opposed to 2 Row? I plan to do a SMaSH with Vienna and Simcoe, just curious what to expect.:mug:

What taste differences will Vienna bring, as opposed to 2 Row? I plan to do a SMaSH with Vienna and Simcoe, just curious what to expect.:mug:

I would do a Vienna SMaSH with just about any hop, there are very few I wouldn't use. I personally think Vienna is the perfect SMaSH malt.

Perfect maltiness. I love Vienna SMaSH beers.

DeathBrewer nailed that one on the head, Vienna is a perfect maltiness, it's not over the top, but brings some flavor to the table, unlike US 2-row.

I would do a Vienna SMaSH with just about any hop, there are very few I wouldn't use. I personally think Vienna is the perfect SMaSH malt.

DeathBrewer nailed that one on the head, Vienna is a perfect maltiness, it's not over the top, but brings some flavor to the table, unlike US 2-row.

Sounds like it will be tasty, may have to move it up in my brew schedule.

Back