Question about Corn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usaftrevor87

Reaction score
Can some tell me what the difference between:
1. Flaked Maize
2. Milled
3. Unmilled

I thought flaked maize was milled maize? Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Can some tell me what the difference between:
1. Flaked Maize
2. Milled
3. Unmilled

I thought flaked maize was milled maize? Am I missing something?

/QUOTE]

Flaked grain, maize (corn), wheat, barley, rye is unmalted grain that has been heated, usually with steam, and then put through rollers which flattens it into a flake. Milled means grain, could be malted, could be unmalted, that has been run through a mill. Unmilled means just that, some sort of grain that has not been milled. Milling produces small pieces not flakes.

Okie dokie. That makes sense.
One more question... Whats the point of milling versus flaking? Why is flaked maize an advantage & desired more?
Thanks Big Ed

Flaking is a way of preparing adjunct grains (unmalted) to be easily utilized and added to the mash. Whole grains, malted or not, need to be milled.

Makes sense. Im asking cause a couple brewing friends of mine said in order to "unlock the corns goodness" (very technical terms here) that you have to use milled & flaked wont work. Obviously they must be wrong or why else would brew shops sell flaked.

Latest posts

Back