Question about Corkers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floridasunsets

Reaction score
I am new to wine making, and I still have some time before I have to worry about bottling what's in the secondary, so I wanted experienced opinions. What kind of corkers do you like? What worked best? What was a dismal failure? You get the idea. I'd really appreciate any info you can give. Thanks!

I use the italian floor corker, never had a problem with it. http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/p/4040
I bought the Italian model because there was an issue with the Portugese model scoring nomacorc as they were pushed into the bottle. I've heard this problem was fixed, but I have no verification on this.
Hope this info helps. Regards, GF.

Floor corker ... no question. Don't even hesitate or ask your wife ... buy one. Best investment in wine making you will ever make. (Not looking to get you in trouble with the wife, but you can always apologize later for spending the money ... after she drinks a little wine to soften up.)

(Now, if you aren't married, buy a floor corker anyway ... so you won't have to ask your significant other for permission.)

I have a little hand held corker. I chose it out of 3 that the store had. I went with a hand corker because it was $20, and I tend to only bottle 1 gallon at a time (5 bottles) maybe once a month. I can go into more specifics if you are looking at small volumes.

Thanks everyone for your posts. Since I will be bottling a large amount, I'll definitely go for the floor corker. Is there a big difference between the Italian and the Portugese?

Florida Sunsets

PS. For the record, I am the wife, lol! Hubby just started brewing beer, and I just started brewing wine about a month ago. We just bottled his first batch today. It smelled great!! My Apple Wine is in the secondary, Grapefruit in the one gallon fermenter, and Hard Lemonade just got started in the Five gallon fermenter. THis is becoming quite the fun little hobby! Oh, and I bought him all his brewing stuff for his birthday so I think he'll be cool with the floor corker. :mug:

Thanks everyone for your posts. Since I will be bottling a large amount, I'll definitely go for the floor corker. Is there a big difference between the Italian and the Portugese?

Yes, big difference. The Portugese model has a plastic iris (this is the part that damaged the synthetic corks) whereas the Italian model has a brass iris & doesn't score the corks. A homebrewer/winemaker will likely never wear out the Italian model, provided it's taken care of properly. It's been described as "The Cadillac of corkers." And, as kmack said, get the capper attachment & you can bottle beer too! Regards, GF.

I have the Portuguese floor corker. It does a great job. I bought it for $50 or so ... and could easily sell it on eBay if I later decide to purchase an Italian corker.

Get the Italian and the capper attachment and you both can use it.

I just got a capper attachment, but having trouble with changing the bell. the 26 is supposed to unscrew... does it? I took the cylinder out of the attachment and I can't see how to get the darn thing apart.

Anyone with special knowledge of how this works, please share. You are smarter than I am.

Back