Question about conditioning higher gravity beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creole_hops

Reaction score
My OG was 1.083 with a FG of around 1.024.
It took about a month to reach FG and I am now bottle conditioning.
My question is whether or not higher gravity beers take longer to condition?

Gravity and storage temp are the biggest factors in carbonation/conditioning times...

The bare minimum for most average grav beers is 3 weeks at 70 degrees.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

More info can be found here....Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....

chart.jpg

Gravity and storage temp are the biggest factors in carbonation/conditioning times...

The bare minimum for most average grav beers is 3 weeks at 70 degrees.

My 68-70* cellar (perfect in the summer!) has become a 60-62* cellar now that it has turned colder. Is that too cold for conditioning? as in, will it just take longer to carb, or will it fail and/or have other negative flavor issues, etc. (I too just brewed a high-grav, although I guess me question is about conditioning in general).

Thanks.

Back