Question about CO2 in Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!
I'm about to transfer my Pale Ale to secondary and take it out of the fermentation chamber. I was going to drop the keezer to 40f and keep my stout inside and then I realized I wasn't sure about something, and this is probably a really dumb question. I know you shouldnt take CO2 tanks above around 130 degrees, but is it alright to keep them in the keezer with the keg at 40 degrees F? Thanks for the help :)

Brian

Any gas follows a law P V = n R T where P = pressure (pascals) V = volume (m^3), n is the number of moles (44g for CO2), R is a constant 8.3145 J/(mol K) and T is the absolute (kelvin ) temperature.

Alternatively 44g of CO2 occupies 24litres at room temmp/pressure. The volume decreases linearly with pressure and increases linearly with absolute temperature.

You will be fine.

Holy cow! :tank:

SCIENCE!

You'll be fine - Just ignore the high pressure gauge on your regulator. It will drop. It will make you think you have a leak. You don't, and It's normal. :mug:

Back