Question about clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjwj12

Reaction score
I'm in my first month of my mead and I'm wondering when I should clear it up? And how I should do it. This is my first mead so I'm still learning. I'm doing 6 months fer and 6 months in a bottle.
Thanks

Brewed Not Bought!

Time works well as a fining agent.

^^^^ This ^^^^ If you're planning on 6 months in the fermenter, there's really no rush to clear it....wait a few months, rack to another, wait a few months, and bottle if ferment is complete. Most all meads will clear on their own given time, which is the hard part of making good mead.....the waiting sucks, but it's worth the wait

I did a secondary xfer yesterday. It'll be in there for 5 more months.

Brewed Not Bought!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397939132.361038.jpg clearing

Brewed Not Bought!

Hello all. 6 months is coming around the corner and im want to make sure i do everything right. Can i just sanitize and xfer to bottle? do i need to add anything? it is very good and clear. Also i just bought a bunch of pint mason jars with tops. can those be my bottles instead of buying bottles with corks and a corker? or does that not work?
Thanks!

Hello all. 6 months is coming around the corner and im want to make sure i do everything right. Can i just sanitize and xfer to bottle? do i need to add anything? it is very good and clear. Also i just bought a bunch of pint mason jars with tops. can those be my bottles instead of buying bottles with corks and a corker? or does that not work?
Thanks!

You can just throw it in a sanitized bottle, but you run a risk of fermentation deciding to start back up, and bottles exploding (unlikely, but still possible). The best thing to do IMO is to add potassium metabisulfate and potassium sorbate to the mead. This is called stabilizing. Adding this ensures that whatever yeast is left in the bottle will not multiply. I have bottled mead without stabilizing that I was certain was done fermenting, but sure enough, I popped a bottle open a few months later and they were crazy carbonated (no bottle bombs, thankfully). Mason jars are fine, I've got a batch from a year or so ago in them right now, and all is well.

Thanks!

Another thing. My personal favorite are swing top bottles. They're resealable, and reusable. If you search around, you can find some for pretty cheap. I bought a bunch of 750ml bottles of Bellot sparkling lemonade in clear swing top bottles for .99 cents each.

Back