Question about Christmas Spice Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zahrndt_usmc

Reaction score
So I have a random question, I am designing a recipie for a winter spice beer. What will add more cinnamon flavor to my beer, cinnamon sticks or ground cinnamon? Also if anyone has any recomendations or tips for a winter beer that would also be appreciated as well.

i like sticks just because its easier to remove.

either way, make a 'tea' out of your herbs and add it to secondary. too much gets lost during primary...the co2 carries off all those volatile aromatics in the spices.

Thanks for the advice, Ive never thought about making a tea out of it or that the co2 would carry off the flavor, I thought I was supposed to add it in at the end of the boil. I appreciate it. Also Im on mainside, in the 15 area, been here since 08.

I have used ground cinnamon in my christmas spice ale before. I think it was added at 5 minutes left in the boil.

I'd say sticks also. Go easier on the clove if you're using it, last batch i made just tasted like nasty old cloves. Simmered the mix for 45 then added post boil. 2ndarying with tea sounds soooo much better

Maybe try infusing bourbon with the spices and adding that. Then you can control how much you add very easily AND you get the delicious bourbon flavour.

Bourbon to beer? honestly i cant even wrap my mind around how that would taste. Are there any examples of that out in the commercial world, cause wisky and bourbon normally make me gag. again thanks for this awesome advice! Just cracked open my first homebrew that I made now, tastes amazing (thank you john palmer!)

I made a winter spiced ale where I soaked the spices in dark rum before adding to secondary. The rum compliments the beer very well. I've had a judge comment that it tastes like rum cake in a bottle.

Bourbon to beer? honestly i cant even wrap my mind around how that would taste. Are there any examples of that out in the commercial world, cause wisky and bourbon normally make me gag. again thanks for this awesome advice! Just cracked open my first homebrew that I made now, tastes amazing (thank you john palmer!)

A few commercial examples are KY Bourbon Barrel Ale (Alltech), Schlafly Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, Founders KBS, etc. Most just take a beer the already brew, and age in it bourbon barrels to infuse the bourbon taste. Of the ones i've had, all are great.

Back