question about checking gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RippinLt

Reaction score
Will I be better off buying a graduated cylinder for drawing samples into to take my gravity readings versus tossing the hydrometer into the fermenter. I was thinking it could be an issue if there is krausen and such on the top of the fermenter. Also if anyone does have the cylinder, what volume is it? (ml)

I use the tube that the hydrometer came in. I don't know what volume it is. I don't think it was specifically designed to be used, but it works. Take the foam piece out of the bottom and replace the cap.... remove the top one altogether. Clean it all up when finished with the reading, let the pieces dry, then use them to package the hydrometer for storage when done.

x4. Until i broke it on accident. Then i broke down and bought a graduated cylinder.

x5. I have a cylinder, but still use the tube the hydrometer came in because with the cylinder I need about a cup of beer so the hydrometer floats, but with the tube I only need about half a cup... save the money and drink more beer!...

image_1888.jpg

3.99 from Northern Brewer. Hydrometer test jar. Stable, about the same size as the tube the hydro came in, so it doesn't really use any more sample than necessary, and you can put your hydrometer away while this dries...
Not graduated - but you don't need graduations, you need the hydrometer to float. that is all.

Back