Question about can seamers and leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyJed

Reaction score
I just got the oktober BenchMK can seamer and canned my first keg. Everything seemed to go well seaming the cans and a rinsed each can off after seaming. However I appear to be having quite a few cans with beer leaking from the seam.
Attached is a pic of one of the worst ones. The thing is, the can is holding pressure. I can squeeze it and I don't see or hear anything coming out.

Any idea what's causing this?

Attachments

• 16632929962818717952666259219192.jpg
    16632929962818717952666259219192.jpg
    894.8 KB · Views: 0
Can seams are pretty finicky. One thing that appears to help is to not linger on each touch of the roller and don't ease in too much. I move the lever to each position with intent and it only needs to rotate once or twice before you should get off it. Bing, bang, off.

Exactly what Bobby said. It’s very quick to get a seal vs cutting right through the lid. That looks like one of the rollers isn't as tight as it maybe could be? I have a cannular and watched the setup video 100 times while fine tuning the rollers. The way I understand it is the first roller folds one way and the second roller doubles back over to seal so they both need to be setup properly.

I read somewhere else to buy tonic water to can a few and then submerge them in water to see if you have any leaks. That way you don’t waste the good stuff.

Back