Question about bulk grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddo97

Reaction score
I made my first AG batch a few weeks ago (BIAB) and am looking into getting a grinder to save some money and increase efficiency. I want to start buying some bulk grains, but am not sure where to get started. I'm assuming a 2-row to begin with, but what kind and what other grains do you all stock up on? How long does a 50lb bag of uncrushed grain last until it goes 'bad'? Is mold something that's common?

Mold isn't common, as you want to store the grains in a cool dry place. I store mine in a bin in the basement, but some buy those dog food containers that are airtight as well.

I buy base malt (Both US two row and British maris otter) by the sack, and other grains in less quantity. I tend to have 10 pounds of crystal 40L on hand, and various other grains like Munich malt, and then smaller quantities of other grains. I store those in bins as well, in plastic bags. For really small quantities, plastic or glass jars work well and those go on the shelf in the basement.

Buy what you are going to use. ;) I'm not a fan of buying bulk. Instead I'll plan out my next 3-6 brews, figure out what I need and make an order. I'd rather let morebeer do the storage than having to buy a bunch of bins to sit around and take up space. They have anything I need on my porch in two days, so it's not like I have to plan that far in advance.

I use around 20 pounds of base per batch so it'd be crazy not to buy sacks.
I try to keep Golden Promise and English Pearl on hand, but if my lhbs is short one week the usual sub is Rahr or Breiss US two-row.
I also keep pilsen base, typically Breiss but sometimes Best Malz or Weyermann Bohemian, depends on what the lhbs has vs what I feel like brewing.

Beyond base, I keep some favorite "specialty" malts on hand in lhbs ziplock bags, enough for a batch or two, but that's it. If I need something special I'll pick it up that week. I don't want to end up with bin full of small bags of random malts and have to do an "inventory beer".

Never had an issue with mold, or any other malady, frankly, that didn't come with the malt. Then again malts don't hang around for long here...

Cheers!

I use around 20 pounds of base per batch so it'd be crazy not to buy sacks.
I try to keep Golden Promise and English Pearl on hand...

OP, I keep Maris in bulk too, for the same reason as trippr - I burn a lot on any given batch. I actually have on hand right now about 85 pounds in two different bins.

trippr - and OP, I hope you don't mind - but could you distinguish a bit your experience of MO v. GP v. Pearl? E.g., more malty, nuttiness, extract potential, etc.? Intrigued by both of the latter 2 malts, but never used them. In Michael Jackson's Scotch book, pretty cool photo of a maltster in a massive Scottish moorland of Golden Promise, doing some hand sampling. Given that Timothy Taylor's LL is 100% GP, very interested.

I get my 2-row $29 for 50 pounds. I can't get that at Morebeer.

I know, always hear about these dirt cheep prices on bulk grains that everyone gets. I've yet to find them locally, actually more expensive than online. But if you can, more power to you. Don't forget to factor in time and fuel into that price.

[...]trippr - and OP, I hope you don't mind - but could you distinguish a bit your experience of MO v. GP v. Pearl? E.g., more malty, nuttiness, extract potential, etc.?[...]

If I had to be terse I'd say GP is a slightly sweeter, tamed MO, which can be a bit too toasted bready for some recipes. I don't find either particularly nutty.

If there's any difference in extract potential between any of the two-row base malts I use I'd be surprised. I have sub'd English for US and vice versa numerous times over the years due to availability issues one way or the other (or, frankly, just a spur-of-the-moment "Gotta Brew Day!" thing) and have nailed the BS2 predicted volume/OG to fermentors about as many times...

Cheers!

If I had to be terse I'd say GP is a slightly sweeter, tamed MO, which can be a bit too toasted bready for some recipes. I don't find either particularly nutty.

If there's any difference in extract potential between any of the two-row base malts I use I'd be surprised. I have sub'd English for US and vice versa numerous times over the years due to availability issues one way or the other (or, frankly, just a spur-of-the-moment "Gotta Brew Day!" thing) and have nailed the BS2 predicted volume/OG to fermentors about as many times...

Cheers!

Cool, thanks. Yeah, "back then" it was Briess almost exclusively for me, then Schreier (still have their nifty key chain!), then Goose opened my eyes to a ton of stuff, particularly a lot of cara-'s, munichs, and Belgian specialties (at least at the time, the IPA was 100% MO). I hear you on the comparative extract potential of the base malts. Interesting notes on MO and GP. I just looked on Morebeer's site and they describe GP rendering a "clear and sweet" wort, "perfect for Scotch ales" (I paraphrase - not there now). And Pearl? Anything interesting there?

Get yourself a couple of 40 lb capacity vittles vaults from chewy.com for $17/each. A 55 lb sack fills one with enough left to fill a few 1 gallon freezer bags to store in the second along with all of your specialty malts. For me, two is the perfect number, but YMMV. I think the threshhold for free shipping is $50 so maybe order three, this is a killer price and you will eventually find a use for all of them. These go for $45/each at petsmart so don't make that mistake. Super high quality, made in USA and sturdy as hell, these are a great investment in hassle-free grain storage.

Get yourself a couple of 40 lb capacity vittles vaults from chewy.com for $17/each. A 55 lb sack fills one with enough left to fill a few 1 gallon freezer bags to store in the second along with all of your specialty malts. For me, two is the perfect number, but YMMV. I think the threshhold for free shipping is $50 so maybe order three, this is a killer price and you will eventually find a use for all of them. These go for $45/each at petsmart so don't make that mistake. Super high quality, made in USA and sturdy as hell, these are a great investment in hassle-free grain storage.

I just looked on chewy and they're coming up at about $25 ea now.

I brew 5 batches at once, so I only need 55-70 lbs of malts, including specialty malts, so for me it is easier to order this amount every time I need to brew.

But buying bulk would definitely be lighter on the wallet, if you need like hundreds of lbs of grains.

That's a great price. Where do you get it?

My HomeBrew Club has an agreement with a local brewpub, just a mile from my house. Members can buy full sacks from him at the wholesale price that he gets them for. I’m sure my club isn’t the only one doing that.

My HomeBrew Club has an agreement with a local brewpub, just a mile from my house. Members can buy full sacks from him at the wholesale price that he gets them for. I’m sure my club isn’t the only one doing that.
Just out of curiosity, what's that come out to per sack? Awesome arrangement.

I only buy 2 row in full sacks. Other base grains (pilsner, MO, vienna) in 10 pound bags. Specialty grains in 1 or 2 pound increments.

Great information--thanks for all of the replies on grains and containers! Based on my brewing, I think I may do what soccerdad does as far as stocking up. I'm planning on getting a Cereal Killer and they have a $50 off $250 deal right now so I figured I might as well stock up on grains to get that deal.

5 gallon buckets with gamma lids are under $10 each.
Need 2 buckets per sack. For long term you may want to add an oxygen absorber and mylar bag liner in the bucket.
I have grain from 2012 that is still good and making good beer.

Good online source: https://www.bayteccontainers.com

I use 5 gallon buckets that I got from a local dairy for $1.50 each. Gamma lids from Home Depot for $7 or $8. I keep Rahr 2 row or similar on hand at all times. I also get Maris Otter or something else by the sack. Right now the other is Vienna. I also have many different sizes of lock and lock boxes for specialty malts. I buy 10 pound packages often of the ones I use the most.

I had about a year hiatus due to fixing up my house for sale then relocation. Most of my grains are over a year and a half old. They all seem to be fine. The beers are coming out terrific.

If I get the urge to brew, most often I can make a recipe with what I have on hand for almost any style of beer. Weigh, grind and brew. No shopping or waiting for delivery required.

I also build starters and freeze vials of yeast so in about a week I can take a sample that starts with 5 ml yeast and step it up for brewday. It takes a little planning but if I make more vials I can brew indefinitely on the original purchase of yeast.

Right now I am stepping up a WY1010 wheat yeast that I froze on February 23, 2012. I looks to be fine.

If I get the urge to brew, most often I can make a recipe with what I have on hand for almost any style of beer. Weigh, grind and brew. No shopping or waiting for delivery required.

IMO this is the best advantage of having a grain/yeast/hop inventory.
Saving on per-brew cost is also nice, but this money is usually spent on storage costs and new equipment.

IMO this is the best advantage of having a grain/yeast/hop inventory.
Saving on per-brew cost is also nice, but this money is usually spent on storage costs and new equipment.

Till you realize that you want to brew something, but are missing one or two ingredients, so end up placing an order anyway. Or you end up with a bunch of odds and ends that never get used.
I always keep ingredients on hand for at least one brew, just in case I can get a brew in unplanned. Maybe it's just me, but I don't feel the need to be stocked like a LHBS. That's what they are for.

You are fortunate to have a good LHBS; maybe it is worth paying a premium for grain if you can keep a good store in business.
I am not so lucky, if I want to brew everything needs to be in stock.

I generally buy 5 sacks in the fall. Rahr, Weyermann Bo Pils, 2GP, and a wheat. I can never find Barke Pils or Pearl where I buy. If you store it right it will last a long time. I have a bin of bags of specialty. I just bought a bunch of 5 and 10 pound sacks to fill it with fresh. I hate having to go to the LHBS to brew.

You are fortunate to have a good LHBS; maybe it is worth paying a premium for grain if you can keep a good store in business.
I am not so lucky, if I want to brew everything needs to be in stock.

If this was in reference to my post, no I don't. All my grains come from morebeer. Never have to leave the house, on my porch two days later.

I buy 2row/pilsen/wheat and Mo by the sack from my lhbs and buy the smaller stuff there as I need it. I am lucky to have 4 shops in a 15 minute radius which are all pretty well stocked and open 7 days a week. If I had to chose only one of get 2 row

I only buy 2-row ($29) or malted wheat ($32) in bulk.
Wow those are good prices! I'm solidly hooked on the continental stuff (avangard and dingemanns) and can't bring myself to give domestic 2-row a try. Is there really that much of a difference? It would be great to reduce my batch cost.

Morebeer for me, too... 50lbs delivered to my door, cheaper than the closests LHBS.... without any attitude.

for the best MB prices, you can't buy the full 50 lb sack... shipping kills the deal... You need to buy 5 10lb bags instead.
More per lb, but eligible for free shipping on $59 order...

So buy 10lb bags of 2 row, munich, vienna, and other base malts... throw in a couple 1 or 5 lb bags of specialty malts, some bottle caps, etc and suddenly free shipping! For me it comes out cheaper than LHBS and comes to my door. I try to hit the LHBS when I can, but their prices and attitude make it not worth it most of the time.

Morebeer for me, too... 50lbs delivered to my door, cheaper than the closests LHBS.... without any attitude.

for the best MB prices, you can't buy the full 50 lb sack... shipping kills the deal... You need to buy 5 10lb bags instead.
More per lb, but eligible for free shipping on $59 order...

So buy 10lb bags of 2 row, munich, vienna, and other base malts... throw in a couple 1 or 5 lb bags of specialty malts, some bottle caps, etc and suddenly free shipping! For me it comes out cheaper than LHBS and comes to my door. I try to hit the LHBS when I can, but their prices and attitude make it not worth it most of the time.
I would have never thought of that, thanks for the tip!!!

Wow those are good prices! I'm solidly hooked on the continental stuff (avangard and dingemanns) and can't bring myself to give domestic 2-row a try. Is there really that much of a difference? It would be great to reduce my batch cost.

There are differences, but for me I usually buy Canadian or US two-row for many of my ales anyway. Rahr is little grainier but in a good way, and it’s cheap. I tried CMC (Canadian Malting Company) the last few times, and it’s very similar to Briess’ I think (and it’s even cheaper).

I usually have British maris otter on hand for English/“warmer” ales, and use domestic Pilsner malt fairly often. Briess’ Borlander Munich malt is very nice, and I would compare it to Weyermann’s.

I like to taste all the grains and to me golden promise tastes the best. In a brulosophy xbmt people could not reliably tell the diff between pils and 2 row. And that makes sense, mo and gp not so much. I buy 50 lb sacks of 2 row because at 34 it forces my hand. Thats 70cents a pound for grain. I use it as my base malt and adjust recipes to it. It is such a hard deal to turn down. I am sure if I was wealthier I might do things differently. When my beer price reaches towards commercial, I would rather buy it. Unlike many, i got into hb to save money and even though many dont, i do. Buying hops and grain in bulk is part of that. That said sometimes i splash out on certain batches. I dont brew a lot of ipas because the large amount and variety of hops needed can get expensive. So i end up making smashes if I really crave one. Batches with large amounts and varieties of grains can push costs up to. But a helles or something like that that is 10 pounds two row will cost me

7 dollars for 10 pounds 2 row
2 dollars for 2 ounces of hops
5 for yeast
Thats 14 dollars for 55 beers. 25 cents a beer.

I emailed micheal tonsemeyer once and he said he would rather pay 40 cents a beer and get what he wants and hes right. We are both right. Btw if you like kits to your door, northern brewer has had some amazeballs deals on kits that have seriously peaked my interest.

I would get gp if you want awesome tasting grain at price no matter and domestic 2 row for regular base malts. The 10 pound mb sack deal sounds awesome and i will look into that because I have been trying to find a way to get other grains in bulk without getting 50 lb. So I could get some variety and save money. I have my grain cracked and put into 5 ten pound bags and then i put those back in sack and seal everything as tight as i can. It is dry here in colorado but i would like to get a mill and have a little more freshness. For me convenience supercedes freshness.

I always try to buy bulk from my LHBS which carries multiple varieties from Crisp, Weyermann, Briess, and Rahr. Their prices are comparable to most online stores if shipping is included but I buy from them exclusively because I want the store to stay open and continue to carry bulk. I usually just buy sacks of 2 row and if I need some other base like Munich or wheat I'll buy 10 lb bags of it.

I've done the MB 10lb trick in the past too and would do so again if MB offered a grain my LHBS didn't carry that I wanted.

For grain storage, I've spent $30 on a Vittles Vault and $20 on a similar bulk container. Even if I only save $.05/lb buying bulk that means I paid for those with savings in about 10 bags so that's a no brainer.

Since I brew 10 gallon batches using typically 20 lbs of bulk grain a 50 or 55 lb sack is only enough for about 2.5 brews or a month and a half.

I buy bulk too. If you have a WalMart with a bakery they'll sell you their frosting buckets (with lids) for $1.

They smell like sugar, but a couple of days with OxiClean in them takes most of it away. I just air them out for a few days. If you set them upright the smell lingers, but if you lay them on their side (without a lid on) the aroma goes away.

The larger buckets hold between 17-19 pounds (depending on the grain). This is helpful for stacking and moving around smaller weights if you're older.

When I put a grain bills together I weigh them out and put it in a bucket. It's like making a homemade kit. If you use wheat (needing a different grind setting) then just keep it in a separate bag and grind it by itself. Labeling what the "kit" is...is easy. Either write on a 3x5 card and tape it to the lid or write on masking tape and apply it to the sides. I usually have 3-4 pre-made for when the urge to brew hits.

UPDATE: My current inventory is at 290# of grain on-hand.

Last edited:
Morebeer for all my supplies except hops from Yakima. Moorebeer has free shipping on orders over $59, which is pretty easy to hit.

I came into about 600 pounds of two row three years ago for a steal. (Great Western)

I kept it in air tight poly drums

I'm still brewing with it, although I'm down to my last 50 pounds, and it's still tasty and fresh.

I'm not sure how long it would have lasted, I've worried more about bugs getting into it than it going bad.

2 row, Golden Promise, Victory, and Belgian Pilsner in bulk in 5 gallons buckets, that takes 8 buckets. Then 2 buckets of crystal and misc malts in 5-10 pound increments.

I need to find someone local to split a pallet of GP with. I use a sack a month on average!

In Portland, OR Steinbarts does a “virtual” grain bag. You pay for the 55lb sack up front. Then you can stop by anytime and pick any amount of grain. They subtract the weight from 55lbs. It saves you from the hassle of storage and in theory it’s always fresh. Good prices too. The last bag I got was $40 for 55lb sack of 2 row (forgot the brand). Very convenient, as I always need to pick up supplies; yeast, hops, co2 etc anyways.
Maybe you can convince your lhbs to do something similar.

So would a garage that gets pretty hot in the summer and is not humidity controlled be too risky of place to store grain? I have a spare bedroom that's slowly filling up with brewing equipment that I can use if I need something with better temperature control.

Back