Question about "Bulk aging"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AsianMead

Reaction score
I have 5L. batch of blackberry melomel and I think it's ready to aging.
It's very clear almost cystal clear coz I didn't use bentonite or anythings to make it clear and it taste very good also. And without bubbling the airlock. I think all fermentation has been stoped.
So, if I rack it to another 5L jug and put it into the refrigerator which the temperature is arround 7C for long time.
Is that can be the good bulk aging?
If you ask me why don't you leave it like that outside the refrigerator. I'll tell you that the temp outside the refrigerator is arround 28-31C in my country and I assume that can change the flavor to my mead.

Mead ages over years. It is best not to refrigerate since this will either stop the ageing or slow it down. I suggest keeping it in a cooler area of the house such as a basement. It has also been suggested that mead is able to stay in sunlight and still be fine unlike most other brews. I have not tested this, yet, though my husband says he has.

Tomico

You can store mead at 25-30C, but these temps do increase the risk of spoilage organisms in sweet batches, and unplanned malolactic fermentation in other cases (making sulfiting and other protective steps worthwhile). Most of my stuff gets aged at 24C, and I'm pretty sure that aging won't be impaired below a temp of about 27C. I have had batches that were stored in areas where the temp got above 32F and they suffered rapid development of oxidized character with sherry odor. No, those batches were not traditional meads, and traditional meads might tolerate that temperature better than a melomel, but I don't think I'd want to keep anything stored at 31C.

Any alternative is better including a fridge.

Medsen

Just recently found out that meads can be kept in the sun only if they have no tannin. Many brewers add teas or grape peals to meads to get a better mouth feel. These are the meads to keep out of the sun.

Refrigeration preserves the mead better, yes, but also considerably slows down aging. so it is not recommended to refrigerate your mead during aging.

Just recently found out that meads can be kept in the sun only if they have no tannin. Many brewers add teas or grape peals to meads to get a better mouth feel. These are the meads to keep out of the sun.

I addressed this in another post, but even without tannins, it is a bad idea to expose mead to direct sunlight as it can lead to Goût de lumière.

Medsen

Back