Question about Bubbles in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovestojam

Reaction score
Hi All,

As you know, I'm new to cider making. I currently have 5 batches going, 3 of which have now been racked into secondaries. All 3 batches sat in their primary for approx 1 month prior to racking. I've now racked all 3 batches and have noticed something strange. All 3 batches seem to have this little layer of scattered bubbles at the top of the fluid, unlike the sidewall bubbles I routinely saw in the primary. They basically look like very clean little bubble patches that have begun to spring-up on the top of my cider. Everything still seems to smell nice and the batches are clearing-up nicely. Any thoughts please?

Thanks,

LTJ

You could have a malolactic fermentation happening - it happens quite easily in cider and is nothing to worry about. Cider has lots of malic acid which gets converted to lactic acid, and it will happen if you don't use camden when racking.

Could also just be a change in termperature in the cider changing the saturation point of CO2 in the liquid which would cause the release of gas. They could be trapped in bubbles for a while

Could also just be a change in termperature in the cider changing the saturation point of CO2 in the liquid which would cause the release of gas. They could be trapped in bubbles for a while

I would say that needs to be a fairly rapid change in temperature to cause visible activity in cider that has already been racked. Sudden unexplained co2 production is the classic indication for malo, happens all the time.

Back