Question about brewing a stout in 3 weeks!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

gERgMan

Reaction score
So, here is my dilema. There is a stout contest in my area in 3 weeks, starting this weekend. I really would like to make a chocolate-vanilla stout I have drawn up (partial grain/DME). I know stouts will get better with age, but time is not of the essence for the contest and I have heard of some people pulling off a stout for a contest in such short time, and winning. My first question is can this turn out good and is it worth doing on such short time frame? If I brew Saturday, I have to bottle it either the Wednesday, March 7th (week & half before contest) or bottle on Sunday, March 11th (6 days before the contest). Which day would be best to bottle? Since I don't need much carbonation, should I spike it with some fresh, rehydrated yeast at bottling time?
If this venture seems worth going for, should I only bottle half of a 5 gal. batch and allow the remaining to rest in the secondary and then bottle and age as normal? Any and all suggestions on this plan are welcome. I am not a beginning brewer, but I am not an expert by any means. This would be my first contest with many more in the future, so not pulling it off wouldn't devastate me too much.

The Pol

Reaction score
3 weeks... that seems awfully short, it will be awfully green beer. Brew it for YOU, take some to the competition, but I wouldnt JUST brew it to compete, I have serious questions about how good it will taste. My stout is now 4 weeks old and will age another month or more before I bottle it I am sure.

OP
G

gERgMan

Reaction score
Yes, I am aware the time constraint is a huge aspect, and with a stout, it can only get better with age. However, I was hoping to go with a sweeter stout that would taste good from the beginning, and continue to mature with age. I know some stouts don't lend themselves to that, but I thought a sweeter stout might.

Either way, I think I am going to put the brakes on this. I need to bottle an IPA and make a lauter tun this weekend, so I might be busy enough. I see Samual Adams Homebrew Contest is beginning soon, maybe I will shoot for that. Thanks for your reply.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
I would say there is no way for a Stout to be good in three weeks, and definitely not for a competition. Not trying to be rude or anything, but when people are putting your brew under the microscope they would easily pick up on any signs of it being underconditioned. I have noticed it is really hard even with really low gravity styles to get it to the right point in under a month. It is just not long enough imo. I have an Oatmeal Stout and am on the second batch. The first batch reached full flavor development in about almost 3 months.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
I've been slowly "testing" my oatmeal stout that I brewed over a month ago and it's still taste kinda green. It's still yummy, but it'll be much better in another month or so...